Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark 618

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I am presently looking at replacing my present laptop (an HP 17", P4 3.2GHz, 2 MB Ram, XP Pro) with a MacBook Pro 15". The specification of the MBP will adequately meet my needs and I plan to use it as a desktop replacement (I still need the portability so it can travel with me to different locations). I presently connect my laser printer, inkjet printer, scanner, keyboard, wireless mouse and monitor to my laptop through a Targus docking station. The docking station connects to my laptop through a single USB connection which make moving the laptop quite easy.

I checked the Targus website to see if there are drivers for Macs but could not find any so I am concerned that the docking station I have will not be compatiable with the MacBook Pro. I also have not been able to locate any sort of docking station on the Mac website.

My question is; how can I connect all of my perpherials to the MBP?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I so wish Apple would do a computer with a real dock. Which is to say, one with an actual single-connector that hooks everything up -- the Duo was the last one that had this, I think.

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
Please let me know your experiences with it! I'm tempted to pull the trigger but would like some feedback first:)

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Henge Docks looks cool. I still use the BookEndz one. A useful advantage to those is that if you want, you can keep the screen open and use it to supplement your external display.

Skizzot

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
I'm sold on this unit... but their website at http://www.hengedocks.com won't load for me.

Anyone have any info on this? Are they still making this product?

I got on their website after a long wait for it to load.

"The traffic has brought the servers to crawl, in fact we had so many orders in the first hour our credit card processor contacted us to congratulate us on the traffic!"

Here are a couple webpage screenshots for those also having trouble:

hengedocksorder.png

hengedockshome.png

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
The BookEndz is an extremely ugly solution - I'd only find that useful if I had the need to use the MBP open alongside a second monitor.

For my needs, the HengeDock is a more elegant solution for a more civilised time (yes, slight rip off from Mr Obi Wan Kenobi :p).

Mcthings

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
I finally got to the site after waiting a while, too.

Looking to get the 13' MBP on May 1st, then order the dock. I'll try to report back with a little review if I remember :D

PinkLuxe

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
HengeDock

Wow after seeing that youtube video of the HengeDock I'm completely sold, and I wasn't even looking for a docking station. That is really nice. Too bad its not yet available for 15", but I pre-ordered (which technically is just an email notification of when it will be available, which I hope is soon). The price isn't bad either.

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Looking at Henge's website, take a look at the port layout pictures for the 15 inch MBP pre-orders.

The "Mid 2009 - Current" model has the SD card slot to the right of the audio in/out ports, while the "Late 2008 - Mid 2009" model has them reversed, with the audio in/out ports to the right of the SD slot.

Looking at pictures of the 2010 15 inch MBP, it matches the "Late 2008 - Mid 2009" setup, and if i've heard correctly, that wasn't rearranged at all with the update last week.

So am I missing something or is it just a mistake on their website?

Mcthings

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Definitely will do. I ordered it Friday evening and I'm in California. I think they ship from Virginia so I probably won't get to play with it until next weekend-ish.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Wish the HengeDock was compatible with the older MBP models (up to early 2008). I've been trying to find a decent dock for my MBP since graduated college. It has become my desktop replacement, so I would like to have it in a dock instead of on a laptop stand as I only use my external monitor.

One random question though, how do you access the optical drive while the MBP is in the HengeDock? Isn't the side placed in the dock where the optical drive is?

neondrgns

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
Wish the HengeDock was compatible with the older MBP models (up to early 2008). I've been trying to find a decent dock for my MBP since graduated college. It has become my desktop replacement, so I would like to have it in a dock instead of on a laptop stand as I only use my external monitor.

One random question though, how do you access the optical drive while the MBP is in the HengeDock? Isn't the side placed in the dock where the optical drive is?

how does this make sense...the side with the dock connectors is the part of the laptop with all the ports not the optical drive...looks like the picture is a bad photoshop

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Egg on face......

Oh wow. I get it now. Ya I was totally confused and misunderstood how the dock worked. I thought this was just a new stand. They sell a stand similar to this (only without connectors) at the Apple Store for $40+, so I (stupidly) assumed this was the same kind of thing.

This is now 100x more interesting to me. I hope to get a new MBP when I finally get a stable job again and this would be perfect for my uses. Again, I wish there was something like this for older MBP models. I would LOVE a setup like this for my current MBP. :(

Mcthings

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone received their Hengedock yet? Curious to see how you like it;)

Apparently they shipped my order yesterday (Monday) morning and it should take ~3 days to get here from then... I'll post some pics and a little review when I get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.