Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
SnapperUK
macrumors member

Problem printing from Indesign

I am currently having a huge problem printing from indesign.
I am running CS3 on a hi spec 08 Mac Pro (10.5.2) connected to an Epson 3800 Stylus Pro A2 printer.
I keep getting the message <Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem>.
I have tried trashing the indesign preferences, I tried a new account... In fact I have just done a clean install of the entire OS. Just can't get it to print. I did have it printing on this machine before and the same document prints from my iMac.
The problem seems to be something to do with the print dialogue. If I print WITHOUT checking the Printer settings in the Print dialogue is sends to the print, but the output is shocking as the paper selection is not right and uses photo black not matt black.
When I DO check the printer settings and set it all correctly it gives me the <Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem>.
Anyone else had this or have any thoughts?
SnapperUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2
juck5500
macrumors newbie

similar InDesign print dialog issues

I can't get InDesign to print on legal size paper. It keeps jumping back to letter after I close the page setup dialog box. any ideas?
juck5500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:00 PM   #3
jerryrock
macrumors 6502

After you set your desired settings in the Print dialog box, click save settings and name your settings. They will be saved with your document.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:30 AM   #4
semicharmed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by juck5500 View Post
I can't get InDesign to print on legal size paper. It keeps jumping back to letter after I close the page setup dialog box. any ideas?
The page setup dialog is simply that - how you choose the settings for your page. It has no effect on what size paper the document is printed on - those are choosen in the print dialogue box.
This means the document size stays the same while you can choose to print on different sized papers.
As an example, I work for my college paper and we're broadsheet - our pages are 13.25"x22". But when we print proofs throughout the night, we use 11"x17" paper. The document size does not change, but in the print dialogue box, we just choose the paper size and it will scale. That way, we can complete our layouts on the correctly sized document, but print in a more manageable size. Also useful for when we say, want to print out the pages on 8.5"x11" sheets, etc.
semicharmed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:11 PM   #5
snickelfritz
macrumors 65816

Output your InDesign project as a PDF.
Print the PDF from Acrobat.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics