Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnapperUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
London
I am currently having a huge problem printing from indesign.
I am running CS3 on a hi spec 08 Mac Pro (10.5.2) connected to an Epson 3800 Stylus Pro A2 printer.
I keep getting the message <Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem>.
I have tried trashing the indesign preferences, I tried a new account... In fact I have just done a clean install of the entire OS. Just can't get it to print. I did have it printing on this machine before and the same document prints from my iMac.
The problem seems to be something to do with the print dialogue. If I print WITHOUT checking the Printer settings in the Print dialogue is sends to the print, but the output is shocking as the paper selection is not right and uses photo black not matt black.
When I DO check the printer settings and set it all correctly it gives me the <Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem>.
Anyone else had this or have any thoughts?

juck5500

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
similar InDesign print dialog issues

I can't get InDesign to print on legal size paper. It keeps jumping back to letter after I close the page setup dialog box. any ideas?

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
After you set your desired settings in the Print dialog box, click save settings and name your settings. They will be saved with your document.

semicharmed

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
New Orleans
I can't get InDesign to print on legal size paper. It keeps jumping back to letter after I close the page setup dialog box. any ideas?

The page setup dialog is simply that - how you choose the settings for your page. It has no effect on what size paper the document is printed on - those are choosen in the print dialogue box.
This means the document size stays the same while you can choose to print on different sized papers.
As an example, I work for my college paper and we're broadsheet - our pages are 13.25"x22". But when we print proofs throughout the night, we use 11"x17" paper. The document size does not change, but in the print dialogue box, we just choose the paper size and it will scale. That way, we can complete our layouts on the correctly sized document, but print in a more manageable size. Also useful for when we say, want to print out the pages on 8.5"x11" sheets, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.