Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
OK cube with problems
Specs 500 Mghz G4, 60 Gig HD, Geforce2 Graphics Card, 384 meg mem, no airport, 15" apple LCD display.

Starts locking up after waking up from sleep, just display mouse and HD turning. Power button works and lets me shut down. Shut down and then I turn back on. Does not get fully started up right before blue os10 screen comes up, display goes black BUT HD still turning. I tried to reset PROM and that does seem to get it back to where os10 would start and OS10 almost starts and freezes right in the middle.
OK so I load Hardware test cd and it actually does go in to the computer. Shut down with power button and restart holding down C key. Run the extended test a few times and test finds mem_/4/7 error code. I try to get it go start up a few more times and NO JOY.
Now I think the aftermarket memory is bad so I take out the 256 meg chip out and setback up and run test a few more times and mem_/3/6 error code comes up this time. Well crap.
So I shut down for the night and go to bed. get up this morning try and start up and no joy of course and then load Hardware test cd and it actually does go in to the computer again. Run the extended test and this time memory is good but the graphics card says disp/15/5 error code.

The whole time this has been going on the display was having some artifacts in it like the graphics card had went wiggy on me or something.

OK heres the questions.

Does this sound like its a problem that I can work around or just have to deal with??

Does this sound like it is for sure about to go or just a quirk for a 8 year old computer??

Does this sound like its on its last leg and only the beginning of the problems and the old girl is dying on me??

If its dead or dying then i'm not going to fix it, just box it back up and put it on the shelf for 20 years when by then its a collectors item and worth more than I paid for it. (Knock on Wood hopefully)

As of right now its working ok but a few minutes from now is a differnet story. When it started working I got on here to post this just in case it dies.
:D:D:D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That was a difficult read.

It's difficult to diagnose the problem based on your description, but I would at least try to reseat the video card. I'd also check the hard drive with Disk Utility.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
ran disc utility and checked the Graphics board. No joy on each.
Just for S**ts and Giggles I reinstalled the memory that was supposedly bad and it works fine now. Go figure.
I dont like chasing problems.
Thats why I buy macs and glocks toyotas and hondas.

I'll keep trying but if it goes out again i'm packing it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.