Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of readers have reported that AT&T hotspots are now offering free Wi-fi access to iPhone users. AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots at Barnes and Noble as well as Starbucks are now offering iPhone users a custom portal to access free Wi-fi. A special iPhone formatted page asks for your mobile phone number. Once entered, you can access the Wi-fi access for free. Blurry photo provided: MacRumors has been able to confirm this finding at a local Barnes and Noble.
202312-attshot2_300.jpg

AT&T recently partnered with Starbucks to provide Wi-fi access to Starbucks' 7000 stores nationwide. This partnership allowed existing AT&T broadband customers free access and AT&T promised that it would "soon extend the benefits of Wi-Fi at Starbucks to its wireless customers", but no official announcement has yet been made.

Article Link

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
Definitely a plus for iPhone owners. I don't think this will be a plan-switcher for most :/

Can't wait to get mine though!

hypermark

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
A side bit of goodness is that I am an AT&T DSL customer who happens to also own an iPod touch (not iPhone). In any event, I went by Starbucks today discovered the AT&T Wi-Fi connection in my settings, chose that, input my AT&T email address and password, and woila, FREE Wi-Fi on my iPod touch. Very cool.

Mark

nineteentwelve

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
Shrewsbury, UK
Is this going to let iPhone users from across the world use AT&T Wi-Fi for free? For instance, if I was to visit New York and go to Starbucks, could my O2 iPhone log on for free. I doubt it myself, but I was just wondering how it is going to differentiate between the two. Or will just be based on the iPhone's browser user agent?

EDIT: I've just realised you need to log in with an AT&T username and password. Duh.

Thudpucker

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Houston

It came up in Houston last weekend (4/26-27) but I've got t-mobile and couldn't use it -- the login screen came up automatically but didn't take my t-mobile #. Guess if you've got an unlocked iPhone it's edge only at Starbucks (didn't seem to be any way around the 'free ATT iphone' login screen to use an alternate wifi access account).

albeik

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
I always use EDGE at my local Starbucks here in Acton, MA. But this morning I got the said page on my iPhone with Free WiFi access. Sweeeeeet! :D

I was going to post it here - but I guess I was a little late :p

deep

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2007
Great!!!

I just keep getting more and more value out of this freaking awesome phone!!! All things non-Apple just suck!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

zap2 said:
soo cool!

can I use my cell number for Wi-Fi on my laptop, or just the iPhone?

If you hit it with your laptop it goes to the normal login page which asks for a username and password

moo083

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Seen it

I was at Starbucks on Saturday and saw this. Totally awesome. But I thought I would mention that the first time I got an error and it went to a T-Mobile error page. I guess AT&T is using the old T-Mobile Hotspots.

Dreil

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If you hit it with your laptop it goes to the normal login page which asks for a username and password

Has anyone tried User Agent -> Mobil Safari 1.1.3 -- iPhone? That should allow you to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.