Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
from anywhere, I get the circle with a slash through it when I try to drag to my desktop.

sounds like somehow you've lost permissions to your desktop directory. (computer treats your desktop, just as it'd treat a regular folder)

use those instructions i made, to fix it. Do steps in order (1,2,3,4)

Hooka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I looked and I can't find that desktop folder with that icon on it. I have other folders with icons but not my desktop one. Hmmm.:confused:

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
I looked and I can't find that desktop folder with that icon on it. I have other folders with icons but not my desktop one. Hmmm.:confused:

... the folder should be in your HOME folder. So like

/*your username*/*desktop folder would be here*

BTW the icon I have for desktop will be different from yours, because I changed all the icons on my mac.

Hooka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
sounds like somehow you've lost permissions to your desktop directory. (computer treats your desktop, just as it'd treat a regular folder)

use those instructions i made, to fix it. Do steps in order (1,2,3,4)

This is what I had to do when my desktop folder got deleted and I could not drag things to my desktop:

1. Create a new account with admin
2. Log into new account
3. Open two finders
4. In finder one: I located main users home folder, where there was no desktop folder
5. In finder two: locate new user home folder where there is a new desktop folder
6. Drag the desktop folder from finder "two" to finder "one"
7. Log out
8. Log in to main account
9. Find home folder with new desktop folder
10. Get info and unlock folder at bottom right

done.

gilzfoolzgold

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
HELP?..i tried that but..

hi i have a macbook pro OS X Software, i can access the desktop folder and have files in it but i can't actually use the desktop as in i can't drag anything onto it and no icons appear on it..it seems to be locked..

but i went into "get info" for the desktop and i have permission to read/write and it isn't locked..

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z25/gilzfoolzgold/desktop_folder_pic.jpg

can anyone help me PLEASE???

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I don't believe the Group should be "gill" - I have it set as Staff here on Leopard(using Path Finder though). Try maybe admin.

Have you tried repairing permissions for your Tiger installation? Use Disk Utility to do so.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I'm having the same issue here. I just installed a new 500GB hard drive into my macbookpro. Restored my backup. Everything was looking good and running good... until I tryed to move something on my desktop. I cannot drag any of the icons on my desktop even one inch.

This is what I've tried:

repair permissions
do a getinfo on both the drive and my desktop folder. Both look good.

Right now I'm going to do an archive and reinstall of Leopard.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Well, I should have done this before the archive and install (which is still in progress). I have the old Leopard OSX hard drive in an external inclosure. If the archive & install doesn't work, I will hook up the external inclosure and boot off that drive which had been in the machine for 3 years and worked just fine. See if I can spot anything at all.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Another thing I tried previous to the archive & install (still ongoing) is to create another administrator account. Well that new account cannot drag anything on it's desktop either.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Well, the archive and install finished and it fixed my "can't drag icons on the desktop problem (or cut and paste)". Of course now I'll never know the root cause of the problem. Good luck to anyone who might have this problem in the future and finds this note string.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.