Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 1, 2008, 03:02 AM   #1
OzExige
macrumors 6502

What's the worst thing thats happened to you? and who or what helped?

DIVORCE arrrrrghhhhh

I'm three years into a divorce and the only thing that has kept me sane is the girl I met 3 months after I moved out!

Love is like that
Old May 1, 2008, 03:10 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post
DIVORCE arrrrrghhhhh
Been there, done that. No fun.

The worst, however, was losing my partner and our son in a car crash (I wasn't in the car - was at work at the time).

21 years ago. Still struggle to deal with it.

What helps is my wife - I re-married 4 years ago this month. She has a happy knack of making everything better
Old May 3, 2008, 02:59 AM   #3
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816

Being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 11. My whole family has it and I knew I was going to get it, so nothing helped...
wvuwhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
c073186
macrumors 6502a

Having two tumors in my lumbar spine. Luckily they were benign, but they still cause me a fair amount of pain and has greatly reduced my quality of life. But I do not complain about it too much because it could be so much worse.
c073186 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 09:28 AM   #5
bc008
macrumors 68000

i am so thankful i havnt had any life threatening things personally. (knock on wood..)(I am only 14 though).

For me it would probably be the 2 day period my parents were talking about divorce. lately they have been ok but we will see..
Old May 3, 2008, 09:34 AM   #6
leekohler
Banned

My brother's and my best friend's suicides. Nothing helps- absolutely nothing. Those are wounds that have scarred over, but I doubt will ever heal completely.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 02:56 PM   #7
SkyBell
macrumors 603

When I was 12 or so, I was involved in a head-on car crash. I was pretty OK as far as injuries go, but there was a young boy in the other car that was killed in the accident. The driver of our car was drunk, and we knew we shouldn't have let him drive. I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for letting that slip by.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 03:00 PM   #8
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
My brother's and my best friend's suicides. Nothing helps- absolutely nothing. Those are wounds that have scarred over, but I doubt will ever heal completely.
My brother also committed suicide 18 years ago and just reading ths thread brings it all back ...
Old May 3, 2008, 03:35 PM   #9
PCsucks
macrumors member

what was the reason for him commeting sucide
PCsucks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Kevin83165
Banned

My first wife took my 3 kids and moved several states away one night leaving me with nothing but an empty house, then got pregnant with someone elses kid.

A minister taught me how to let go, and when I did I met my current wife not long after. We been married now 12 years with 3 more wonderful kids
Kevin83165 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

For me, it would have to be when the girl who I was sure I would marry broke up with me. It helped when a few months later I got really angry because I finally realized how badly she treated me after we broke up.

It doesn't hurt anymore, but I learned some good lessons the hard way. I was rather foolish, and I learned the meaning of the Benjamin Franklin advice that "If Passion drives you, let Reason take the reins."
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 06:46 PM   #12
me_94501
macrumors 65816

My parents' divorce the subsequent upheaval. I haven't seen my father since the mid 90s. I'll still cry about it if I talk about it too much.
Old May 3, 2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Scubajay
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Scubajay
Having to attend 6 of the 10 railway suicides in the last 12 working shifts and having to clear them up piece by piece. It has knocked my head into a spin.
Old May 3, 2008, 06:53 PM   #14
BigPrince
macrumors 68020

Mine are not as tragic as some of the others...I am 19 and the biggest thing is dropping the ball on two projects at work...and failing a college course, and not doing too great at school in general in my major. (GE's are fine)

My co-worker basically said that there is always people at work who have dropped bigger balls then me and they are still around...that kinda helped.

Last edited by BigPrince; May 3, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
BigPrince is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 07:18 PM   #15
gadgetgirl85
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to gadgetgirl85
My brother 'surprising' me by flying my father up and having him turn up at my graduation last year. Probably not the worst for most of you, but considering I dislike my father it was not a happy day which should have been.
Old May 3, 2008, 07:21 PM   #16
BigPrince
macrumors 68020

did your brother do this on purpose?
BigPrince is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 07:22 PM   #17
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

The death of my son at the age of 12 after 9 years of worsening illness.

Nothing helps, except remembering that it was truly a privilege to know him.

Last edited by skunk; May 3, 2008 at 07:38 PM.
skunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 07:26 PM   #18
jamesarm97
macrumors 6502a

My wife was assaulted leaving work one night. Did not find her until the next morning. She suffered multiple skull fractures and eye sockets were shattered. Had a major stroke. Was in intensive care for three months with dozens of surgeries. Was in and out of comatose state. Had the majority of the right side of her brain removed. This was six years ago this June. She has really come a long way since then and has made a remarkable recovery and you would not even know she is missing the majority of her right brain if you were to talk to her. I have seen many people that have had minor strokes and have been worse off.

The community really came together and raised money for medical expenses and a van. In the last two years the Charleston Trident Home Builders Association pledged to build a new wheelchair / handicap accessible home and it is finally starting to happen. The community is pulling together again and there are many generous companies helping.

- James Armstrong
http://www.thearmstrongs.org
jamesarm97 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 07:30 PM   #19
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

You are a brave man, James Armstrong. Good luck to both of you.
Old May 3, 2008, 08:22 PM   #20
letsgorangers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesarm97 View Post
You're amazing. Your wife is so incredibly lucky to have you. So brave, so selfless.
letsgorangers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 02:59 AM   #21
gadgetgirl85
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to gadgetgirl85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
did your brother do this on purpose?
Well, thats in debate really. I have a feeling it was his evil wife's concoction, trying to ruin my graduation. Solved the problem this time, didn't tell my brother about my next graduation date! He's definitely not invited after the last stunt.
Old May 5, 2008, 03:25 AM   #22
Dagless
macrumors Core

My problem is that I've had nothing too bad happen to me so my mind makes up problems. I get anxiety attacks every few years which cripple me for days. My last one which I only came out of a week ago lasted 3 weeks. It was pretty terrible - no creativity, depression, constant worry and fear. I lost a stone in weight in a week, slept for just a couple of hours a day.

I'm 22 and I've got my whole family intact. Outside of some friends from school the only death I've seen was my old dog dying. I'm worried I won't be able to cope should a family member die.

Editage - What helped? Little. I thought I needed help from family, parents, hospital etc. But in the end I just needed to fix myself. I had to constantly reassure myself that all my problems were linked to 1 single, not-that-serious problem. I worked out, I ate more and fought tooth and nail to get to my original self and it worked. I still get minor anxiety, problems that somehow get amplified but they're fading. In the end it took some really great people on this forum to get me better after a week with the initial problem.

Last edited by Dagless; May 5, 2008 at 06:06 AM.
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 05:38 AM   #23
Mord
macrumors G4

The death of my mother, she was ill the whole time I knew her and died when I was 10.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 06:37 AM   #24
scotthayes
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to scotthayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_94501 View Post
My parents' divorce the subsequent upheaval. I haven't seen my father since the mid 90s. I'll still cry about it if I talk about it too much.
I didn't see my Dad for 22 years, but when I was in my mid-20s I got in touch and we built a fantastic relationship. So don't give up on seeing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
When I was 12 or so, I was involved in a head-on car crash. I was pretty OK as far as injuries go, but there was a young boy in the other car that was killed in the accident. The driver of our car was drunk, and we knew we shouldn't have let him drive. I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for letting that slip by.
You really shouldn't feel any blame on your part for what happened, you were 12 at the time and really would not have been able to stop him.
Old May 5, 2008, 07:40 AM   #25
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

When I was 8 years old my father started having some health-issues. He had had some mild seizures, so he was at home with me and my mother was at work. She had told me that if my father gets another seizure, I should call her immediately. As I was watching TV, I heard this loud thud in the livingroom: my father had collapsed on the floor and having a seizure. I noticed that he was bleeding from his ear. I called my mother who in turn called the paramedics. The 5-10 minutes it took for the paramedics to arrive were the longest minutes of my life. Then they came and took my father with them. After they had left I took some paper-tissues and wiped the blood from the floor.

I never saw my father alive again. He died in the hospital on the next day. Cause of death was cerebral hemorrhage.

It's been 22 years now, but I still remember it like it happened yesterday. And the event has given me this fear of dying. I'm not afraid of dying in an accident or war or something like that. What I am afraid of is dying due to some sudden illness. Seeing my father collapse like that made me realize that I too could one day just drop dead. One minute I could be full of life, the next I could be lying on the floor dying. That fear manifests occasionally as panic-attacks where I have the feeling that I'm about to die.

How can one get over an event like that? you don't really. You just learn to live with it.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion