Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I've done it before, but today i did it in a group of people. The conversation went like:

"I need a new phone what do you think i should get?"
"Hey you should get an iPhone"
Random Person: "iPhones suck my phone (which is a stupid htc touch with a keyboard) is better!"
Person looking for a new phone: "ill scratch the screen so easy" (she's a girl..)
Me: "the screen doesnt scratch at all its glass"
Other person: "That's bs prove it"

So, i pulled out my iPhone. I also pulled out my keys. I started rubbing the key on my iPhone. Then i let other people do it do. And guess what happened....

NO SCRATCHES! Geez, and people didn't know that glass doesn't scratch...

/End random story :D

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
I've done it before, but today i did it in a group of people. The conversation went like:

Random Person: "iPhones suck my phone (which is a stupid htc touch with a keyboard) is better!"
Person looking for a new phone: "ill scratch the screen so easy" (she's a girl..)

So, i pulled out my iPhone. I also pulled out my keys. I started rubbing the key on my iPhone. Then i let other people do it do. And guess what happened....

Actually glass does scratch..see mohs hardness table.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

Just depends on what you use to scratch it with.

I have a geology minor :cool:

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Mine fell on the floor on the second day and it got scratched. Only about a foot and a half drop. But I wasn't trying to prove a point. These screens definitely scratch.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Nice story. I would be nervous watching people scratching my phone.

After I got my phone last July I was worried about scratching as well.

I went to an AT&T store to look for the screen protectors. A guy who worked there went and got his keys and did the same thing.

No screen saver for me. :)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

You DID scratch it. You just may not be able to see the scratches. Put under a bright light and uses a magnifying glass and you will clearly see where you rubbed the key. Even a diamond's surface can be scratched.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah but the point is...there is no huge scratch visible, unlike what you would do to a plastic screen. I know my friends, i trust them. And i'd kick their ass if they did anything else to my phone ;)

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
You DID scratch it. You just may not be able to see the scratches. Put under a bright light and uses a magnifying glass and you will clearly see where you rubbed the key. Even a diamond's surface can be scratched.

Just because it's possible to be scratched doesnt mean he DID scratch it. There are some things that just physically cannot scratch other things.

wordy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Toronto
Just because it's possible to be scratched doesnt mean he DID scratch it. There are some things that just physically cannot scratch other things.

It is scratched, make no mistake.

If a scratch happens on an iPhone, and you don't have the magnifying capability to see it does it... well, ok, the analogy doesn't fully work. :D

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

Keys are nickel plated and nickel has a Mohs scale hardness of 4. Top quality glass can be slightly harder at 5 to 6 but this is more than close enough to easily scratch it. For instance a diamond (Mohs 10) can be scratched by glass (Mohs 5).

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
What is the Mohs scale hardness of fingernails, jeans and buttcheeks? I'm concerned...

... but seriously, you've got more trust in your friends than I have in mine, bud. Glad it played out for you alright in the end.

t22design

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
iPhone screens can scratch.

Mine did.

It made me a little sad. :(

I went and bought a screen protector. (Gate. Horse. Bolted.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.