Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucs

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Chicago
OMG

OMGthat looks so awesome
looks like its gonna have 4 processors

it's brushed metal, isn't it?!?!

gralem

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2002
it's true...

...Very authentic. I was sitting about 15 rows back...right behind the media. There was only a center video display on the stage, which you can see here. Other stage features include 2 glowing white apples (1 on either side of the screen) and a table stage left with a mac setup for all of the "Jag-Wire" demos (quoting steve's pronunciation).

---gralem

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I beat arn by 2 minutes but he closed my thread. :(

Oh well. I'm digging the industrial chic aspect...

Let's just hope the insides perform as well as the outsides look. :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
WOW, much slimmer than I expected, very cool. I wish I could get one, but I'd have to buy a rack, etc.

I think I'll wait for the new desktops.:D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
This couldn't have been what the "proto" motherboard had to do with, because of the case design. That board had a AGP slot which I don't think a rack server would have a use for (height reasons).

My bet's still on the G4. Probably will have multiple G4's, but I don't think that they would release a new processor, even for a rack, outside of Macworld. After all, they can cluster them, right?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Cool?

Guys, c'mon, it's a beige box with a silver Apple on the front! I really don't think it's that cool...

I am looking forward the seeing what that little baby is packin', though!

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Man, this is way more exciting than episode II. As for AGP, rack servers typically have either onboard video (which can be AGP, look at the Powerbook) or have riser cards and mount the cards sideways.

I hope to hell that those bottom two sections are for hotswap disk arrays. yum!!!

They look so beautiful. Way cooler than anything from big blue.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by macstudent
Do you think that these machines will be hot to the touch if they are running all of the time?

Not hot, but warm. That's a good thing. Have you sen the CoolerMaster cases? They act like a giant heatsink. If the metal case is warm, it's doing its job.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by mc68k
Not hot, but warm. That's a good thing. Have you sen the CoolerMaster cases? They act like a giant heatsink. If the metal case is warm, it's doing its job.

You have learned well...young Padawan...:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Cool?

Originally posted by Beej
Guys, c'mon, it's a beige box with a silver Apple on the front! I really don't think it's that cool...

Have you ever seen rack computers? This thing will standout so much compared to anything else. You'd walk up and have to reach out and touch it.....

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Re: Re: Cool?

Originally posted by dukestreet

Have you ever seen rack computers? This thing will standout so much compared to anything else. You'd walk up and have to reach out and touch it.....

I just hope it doesn't collect fingerprints like the Tibook cases do :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Re: Cool?

Originally posted by dukestreet

Rack servers are ugly and meant to be locked away. But that's where Apple specializes. In their current design rampage, even a rack server has to look good. They've got a repuation to uphold and their products show it.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Cool?

Originally posted by Beej

I am looking forward the seeing what that little baby is packin', though!

Not beige...metal....sexy...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
If there is someone here extremely rich, I want them to do this... Buy about 500 of these things... Then get a big 'supercomputer' room, like where you always see massive computers housed. Then, just make an aisle with 250 servers on each side... That would look impressive... Even more impressive than a bunch of dells. They would look like space-age computers...

I wonder if they'll do clustering, and if so, how would they connect? I know that there are ways to setup a render farm over a network, but if you could daisy-chain these suckers together with a special, high bandwidth cable coming from a PCI card, that would totally kick @$$ And if they had up to 4 processers each, the scenario above would have 2000 G4 processors!!!! Of course, I don't think clustering would support that many, but just the thought of it is cool...

PS, after whoever it is that can accomplish this scenario, just remember to think of the guy who gave you the idea when you're looking for something to do with some of those servers... :D

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I cannot wait! Lets see.... if I sell my iMac, iBook, car, wedding ring, lawn mower, fake injury at Wal Mar, and sell m wifes body, then I might be able to get one :p ;) :D :p ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :p

I really hope that they are in a decent price range, and kick A$$. Hey what if they use embedded G5's?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.