Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 1, 2008, 11:32 PM   #1
flatFork
macrumors newbie

Found an eMac

I found an eMac in a pile of trash the other day. It doesn't work. Its a G4 1.25GHz 256MB RAM model that shipped w/OS 10.3 as best I can tell.

When I try to start it up, all I get is the light grey screen/dark grey logo & a dark grey spinny progress indicator thing. It wont start normally or in Safe Mode. I ran TechTool on it via the disc that came with another Mac, & all the hardware seems fine. I don't have the install/restore disc for it.

Anybody got suggestions as to getting it working/what to do with it/how to turn it into a fishbowl?

Thanks.
flatFork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:41 PM   #2
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

If it boots from the CD and tests OK, then there is either something wrong with the hard drive, or with the OS installation on the hard drive.

You need to get yourself a set of OSX disks, either the bundled disks that came with this model, or a retail Panther or Tiger set -- then try erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS.

If that fails, you could try putting in a new hard drive (IDE 3.5" drive)
Old May 1, 2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Yoursh
macrumors 6502

Quickest way would to be to try and boot off a OS installer disk. I'm quessing though you don't have any or you would have already tried this. You could try and track down 10.3 discs, they are getting cheap nowadays.

If you have another mac nearby running osx 10.3 or 10.4 you could set that machine in target disk mode and hook it up to the emac via firewire and then try to get the emac to boot off of the other systems drive. Or as the post above, swap the drive.
Yoursh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:49 PM   #4
flatFork
macrumors newbie

Aren't the installer discs proprietary to the machines they ship with (i.e. you can't use the disc from a MacBook on a Mac Mini) or will any 10.3 install disc do?
flatFork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Finding RAM is a PIA if it isn't a DDR machine, got the last stick at CompUSA before they declared the liquidation sale.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Mushrooshi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked View Post
Finding RAM is a PIA if it isn't a DDR machine, got the last stick at CompUSA before they declared the liquidation sale.
DDR? RAM?

VS

Thumb resize.

Last edited by xUKHCx; May 3, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Mushrooshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 01:37 PM   #7
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatFork View Post
Aren't the installer discs proprietary to the machines they ship with (i.e. you can't use the disc from a MacBook on a Mac Mini) or will any 10.3 install disc do?
Quote:
OSX disks, either the bundled disks that came with this model, or a retail Panther or Tiger set
^ You cannot use an install dissk from a machine that is of a different model line/generation. There is a very limited and somewhat random ability to use disks from other machines of the same generation where the hardware is sufficiently similar, but I wouldn't count on that.

SunBaked -- while it may be a pain to find the PC133 DIMMs at a bigbox outlet, they are readily available from any Mac-centric memory dealer.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:05 PM   #8
ADent
macrumors 6502a

You can boot it in Firewire Target Disk Mode and run the installer from another Mac. If using Tiger (10.4) the other machine would need to be PPC.

Also you can install to an external drive on another computer, then move that drive over to the eMac.

Make sure to buy a legal copy when you have verified it is a good runner.
ADent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 09:30 PM   #9
MacHappytjg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
You can boot it in Firewire Target Disk Mode and run the installer from another Mac. If using Tiger (10.4) the other machine would need to be PPC.

Also you can install to an external drive on another computer, then move that drive over to the eMac.

Make sure to buy a legal copy when you have verified it is a good runner.
also leopard
MacHappytjg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 09:48 PM   #10
timswim78
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked View Post
If it is 1.25GHz, then it definitely uses DDR RAM.
http://lowendmac.com/imacs/emac-2004-1.25-ghz.html
Old May 2, 2008, 11:35 PM   #11
ADent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHappytjg View Post
also leopard
Leopard can be universal (the install disk is), esp if you build to a APM partitioned disk.

See http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...71025100548752 for one hint on how to build an external universal Leopard disk.

Tiger is PPC or intel only, even on the OS install disks.
ADent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 02:02 PM   #12
MacHappytjg
macrumors 65816

if u get it working then i envy u
MacHappytjg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs