Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 2, 2008, 04:28 AM   #1
suttonsam
macrumors newbie

G5 + Quad Bay enclosure = E.SATA card help?

I am running a G5 powerPC dual 2.5ghz with plenty of RAM. I recently bought an: IcyDock External Quad Bay Removable Enclosure- model Mb561S.
I now need a high-Performance PCI-X SATA Host Adapter/card that will allow hot-swappable drives and minimum of fuss when configuring. A plug and play option would be ideal that allowed for interchangeable drives running independently of each other. I am considering the Silicon Image 4-Port PCI-X eSATA Controller for its 4 ports and ease of use. Does anyone have any experience of these? Please advise..
Thanks in advance
suttonsam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
echoout
macrumors 6502a

The Sonnet E4P is awesome. Used it for a year or so on my G5 and several months now on my Intel 8-Core MP. Zero setup, super-fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttonsam View Post
I am running a G5 powerPC dual 2.5ghz with plenty of RAM. I recently bought an: IcyDock External Quad Bay Removable Enclosure- model Mb561S.
I now need a high-Performance PCI-X SATA Host Adapter/card that will allow hot-swappable drives and minimum of fuss when configuring. A plug and play option would be ideal that allowed for interchangeable drives running independently of each other. I am considering the Silicon Image 4-Port PCI-X eSATA Controller for its 4 ports and ease of use. Does anyone have any experience of these? Please advise..
Thanks in advance
echoout is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Play4keeps
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoout View Post
The Sonnet E4P is awesome. Used it for a year or so on my G5 and several months now on my Intel 8-Core MP. Zero setup, super-fast.
DITTO

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs