Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old May 2, 2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Acronym
macrumors 65816

Ipod Touch Alarm System

is there anyway oconfigure your iPod Touch to play music for an alarm instead of the built in sounds it has to play
Acronym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 10:13 PM   #2
tennez
macrumors regular

Probably...I havent seen it yet!
tennez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3
davidy
macrumors 6502

No. It doesn't have a speaker.
Old May 4, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Acronym
macrumors 65816

i bought an ipod Dock chager/speaker system would this not enable it to use music as apart of the alarm system?
Old May 4, 2008, 02:30 PM   #5
akallen
macrumors newbie

Not within the original iPod software does it allow you to choose music for an alarm. Period.
akallen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Acronym
macrumors 65816

so then if jailbreaked can an alarm system be downloaded that will aloow you to play music?
Old May 5, 2008, 04:31 AM   #7
Draythor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronym View Post
so then if jailbreaked can an alarm system be downloaded that will aloow you to play music?
NO! The iPod touch has no speaker. That means no music. Not now, not ever! Kapeesh?
Draythor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronym View Post
No. The iPod does not have a speaker in the first place; it has a transducer which cannot play anything more than several different beeping noises. It is impossible to play music through the transducer, and because of this there will never be any type of software update, legit or not, that will allow it to.
Ivan P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Acronym
macrumors 65816

thank you for your input
Old May 5, 2008, 11:09 PM   #10
AceFernalld
macrumors 6502a

He was asking if it could play music as an alarm sound, through an iPod speaker, while the iPod is on a speaker, in order for it to play sound BTW. Unfortunately no, you can't set a song as an alarm noise, yet.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Acronym
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFernalld View Post
He was asking if it could play music as an alarm sound, through an iPod speaker, while the iPod is on a speaker, in order for it to play sound BTW. Unfortunately no, you can't set a song as an alarm noise, yet.

yeah what this guy said thanks for letting me know though
Old May 11, 2008, 09:25 AM   #12
thomas769
macrumors newbie

I can

I own a Edifier which allows you to set your music to an alarm on the iPod. Also works as a really good loud speaker for like 15/$30. I think you can only get them in the UK though. Cosco.
thomas769 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:15 PM   #13
rumz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draythor View Post
NO! The iPod touch has no speaker. That means no music. Not now, not ever! Kapeesh?
I don't really get why so many people jump to this statement about the iTouch not having a speaker. Why, because the iPhone DOES? Every iPod I've ever owned (Mini, 5.5g, Classic) has had an alarm function where you could set to play a playlist. All you really need is a pair of speakers. I've used an old iPod Mini with a dock as an alarm close for a long time. Why are people so quick to give the asinine response "it doesn't have a speaker"? The lack of being able to choose a song as an alarm option is a flaw in my opinion. I understand it on the iPhone-- they want people to buy a song TWICE just to have it as a ringtone. But come on-- there aren't special CDs that you have to re-buy your albums on in order to use a CD alarm clock. This is just overkill.

The iPod Touch should have a music option, because last I checked, it has a headphone output as well as a dock connector that could be hooked up to a set of speakers or dock.

In any case, perhaps now someone will write a simple app to do just this once the iPhone / iPod Touch firmware comes out in July or whenever.
rumz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:23 AM   #14
Itouchloveaaa
macrumors newbie

Actually the iPod touch DOES have a speaker seeing as though I'm listening to music on my itouch without head phones while writing this. I was wondering about getting it to play music as the alarm too either on or off my docking station. While it would be possible, if it was an option, I'm sure it's not.
Itouchloveaaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:18 AM   #15
sjleworthy
macrumors regular

http://appshopper.com/utilities/alarm-clock-pro
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:40 AM   #16
winninganthem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
Thanks so much
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:42 PM   #17
Rush143
macrumors newbie

actually you can use songs instead of the built in sounds. This may work without a docking station, but i don't know for sure. Just set the alarm, then go to your music and select a song. Pause it, and leave it (do not press the home button) until the alarm goes off. This works for me every morning.
Rush143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:14 AM   #18
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Way to resurrect an old thread.

'Twas started in 2008, when the Touch didn't have a speaker or allow you to pick songs for the alarm. It's all moot now.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:13 PM   #19
v2allen
macrumors regular

WOW, I didn't even know it had an alarm system. Why would you want it to be your music anyway? It should be able to alert you...!
v2allen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:41 PM   #20
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

The last few posts here are full of facepalm.

Alarm system = alarm clock here. It's to wake you up or remind you of something... not theft deterrence...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:46 AM   #21
liamkp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
The last few posts here are full of facepalm.

Alarm system = alarm clock here. It's to wake you up or remind you of something... not theft deterrence...
Dont worry v2allen youre not alone, thats what i thought too.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:24 AM   #22
rmartin345
macrumors newbie

There is an alarm function on it but it doesn't play music, just the alarms.I don't know of any 3rd party apps that would give you that funcionality.It is fun to activate it and watch ppl try and touch it and I was bored one day and decided to utilize my itouch and this app by plugging it into my bedroom surround system and attach it to the wall,
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:35 AM   #23
liamkp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin345 View Post
There is an alarm function on it but it doesn't play music, just the alarms.I don't know of any 3rd party apps that would give you that funcionality.It is fun to activate it and watch ppl try and touch it and I was bored one day and decided to utilize my itouch and this app by plugging it into my bedroom surround system and attach it to the wall,
Thats why you get a dock with an alarm system.... You might be able to attach music to your alarm once its JBed. Maybe.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:15 PM   #24
frifra
macrumors member

Lightbulb

Morning Guys .

Good news: There is a way to add more alarmsounds (like songs) to your iPod Touch without jailbreaking it.

The solution is called iPhone Explorer (www.software4u.de change language on the top right to english) - it's software for a PC and it's free. But I guess that paypal donations are welcomed. No, I am not the developer, but I wrote a tutorial (in German ).

Sorry, at the moment I have no time for a translation, but basically you will understand most of it, even if you don't speak German.

- at the beginning I am talking about what you need (iPod/iPad etc. and the software, e.g. Win XP, Net Framework 3.5 and the iPhone Explorer and then I am just describing how to edit a song with itunes (length, etc., create *acc file, copy it to folder, rename it from *.m4a to *.m4r and paste it (drag and drop it) to the ringtone section in the iphone explorer (you can delete the *acc file and *m4r file now), sync with itunes. You can drag and drop multiple songs at once).

That's it.

Here is the tutorial Link: http://www.apfeltalk.de/forum/ipod-t...t-t349168.html
frifra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:17 AM   #25
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itouchloveaaa View Post
Actually the iPod touch DOES have a speaker seeing as though I'm listening to music on my itouch without head phones while writing this. I was wondering about getting it to play music as the alarm too either on or off my docking station. While it would be possible, if it was an option, I'm sure it's not.
I know this post is from a year ago, but I just have to say it. This topic was made back when the 1st generation touch was available. That model did not have a speaker. Only the 2nd gen (late 2008 model) and beyond have had a built-in speaker.
Ivan P is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch