Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 2, 2008, 03:49 PM   #1
chris bulla
macrumors newbie

Help with Power Mac problem

Ok, so my Mac is acting up. For reference it's a Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4 (mirrored doors) running OS X Panther.

Over the last few months when booting up I would sometimes get a grey screen with foreign writing on it (was told this is Mac's "fatal exception screen"). If I turn off the computer a few times it would eventually boot up. I turned it on the other day and all I get is a grey screen with a folder in the middle that flashes between a finder logo & a question mark. Never seen this before, but I was told that there might be a problem with my hard drive. So I bought a new hard drive and Leopard, went to install it, and it crashed before it even started installing.

Someone has now told me this could be a logic board problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
chris bulla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris bulla View Post
Ok, so my Mac is acting up. For reference it's a Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4 (mirrored doors) running OS X Panther.

Over the last few months when booting up I would sometimes get a grey screen with foreign writing on it (was told this is Mac's "fatal exception screen"). If I turn off the computer a few times it would eventually boot up. I turned it on the other day and all I get is a grey screen with a folder in the middle that flashes between a finder logo & a question mark. Never seen this before, but I was told that there might be a problem with my hard drive. So I bought a new hard drive and Leopard, went to install it, and it crashed before it even started installing.

Someone has now told me this could be a logic board problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
It could also be a RAM problem. One of your chips might be bad. Try removing them one at a time and then start up the computer.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs