Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/audioengine_a2_desktop_speakers

Am looking for a new set of speakers to throw in my living room. Nothing wall shattering, just something that sounds decent. Was considering the Hi-Fi, but can't seem to find any at a reasonable price. Was pointed in the direction of the A5/A2 and they seem like they might work. The A2's are significantly smaller than the A5's which is nice. Downside is there will be a lot more cords i'd have to control, there's no dock for an ipod, and no remote control for volume.

either way, does anyone have any experience with these? recommend or not? or other suggestions?

Thanks!
M

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/audioengine_a2_desktop_speakers

Am looking for a new set of speakers to throw in my living room. Nothing wall shattering, just something that sounds decent. Was considering the Hi-Fi, but can't seem to find any at a reasonable price. Was pointed in the direction of the A5/A2 and they seem like they might work. The A2's are significantly smaller than the A5's which is nice. Downside is there will be a lot more cords i'd have to control, there's no dock for an ipod, and no remote control for volume.

either way, does anyone have any experience with these? recommend or not? or other suggestions?

Thanks!
M

Can we have somewhat of an idea of your budget? there might be a hi-fi within that price range (mine had a very decent price and one can go even lower). As for the AudioEngines, I was actually looking at the A5s to replace my hideous sounding Bose companion speakers and those Kevlar cones caught my attention... And if you're definitely not going to get a proper hi-fi then I'll go for the A5s. Hope this helped,

Victor

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I agree with Victor. Give us an idea of what kinda price range you're talking about (for the complete setup), or what kit you have already and how much you'd be willing to spend to get it up-together, and also very very importantly how large your room is and we'll give you a prod in the right direction...

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
$200 sounds about right for me.
I'd likely be putting them in a room that's about 14x20.
i'm not necessarily a huge audiophile. just want something that sounds good. the one thing i do like about the A2's compared to the A5's is the size. something smaller would be much easier to find a location for.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
That's not exactly the smallest room in the world - I'd want to go for something a bit larger than the A2s...

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
i don't need to blast the sound. chances are i'll also be moving in the next few months and i'm almost certain my living room will not be as large. just remeasured. it's actually 11x18.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.