Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airwalke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Hoping that some of you here still own or have owned Powerbooks recently... I have a PB G4 1.67ghz that I bought in July 2005. Since then, it's seen the back of the Apple Store several times to replace three logic boards, a screen, and a SuperDrive, with the most recent instance being the third logic board replacement. This has left the future of my laptop in uncertainty, as the warranty expires this July.

In the past, I've owned several Macs for 5 years or more, including my beloved G4 Cube, so I'm no stranger to sticking with my Mac until it's absolutely necessary to upgrade... and financially, I was planning for this computer to last me another 2 years before I had to upgrade.

I feel that with the recent track record of faulty logic boards passing through my system, Apple should be able to offer an extension on my warranty or a full replacement of my system. The repairs would not have occurred if Apple suspected any sort of user neglect on the system.

However, I feel like such requests have fallen onto deaf ears. After asking the Apple Store about this, they said to call AppleCare, who then told me to take the issue back to the guys at the Apple Store. I then promptly e-mailed sjobs@apple.com a few days ago about the issue, but with no response yet by phone or e-mail.

Is there anything else I can do to get this scenario acknowledged? I'm beginning to wonder if Apple considers this to be a non-issue compared to the number of people with failing components within the span of a year. Has anyone with this situation ever reached an acceptable solution?

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Just about a month ago, my Powerbook G4 1.67 15" experienced the lower RAM slot failure. I was only about 2 weeks out of AppleCare. The performance with half the RAM capability just isn't acceptable with what I use it for.

I also hoped to get about a year or two more of use out of it before upgrading, but it wasn't to be. I was able to pick up a MBP from the Apple refurb store at a good price, and am using that now.

Because I was out of AppleCare and the extended warranty on the logic board for the lower RAM slot failure only goes 2 years past the purchase date (bought in March 2005), I never even considered contacting Apple about it. I'm upset about the failure, but Apple doesn't owe me anything. It was just bad luck that the RAM slot went bad just after the warranty expired.

To answer your question, no, I haven't gotten anything from Apple due to my PB G4 logic board problem -- my only problem in a little over 3 years. The PB is in great shape (not including the RAM issue) and will now begin its second life as a mobile web surfing and light office work machine while the MBP gets to do the heavy lifting of graphic design and light video work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.