Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I have used macs all my life but now i also want a pc to play some games. (and no i dont want to run bootcamp or any other program). I was thinking I could save a lot of money by plugging my pc into my awsome 24 inch mac monitor. Is this possible?

és:

macrumors 6502a
By 24 inch monitor, I assume you mean 24 inch iMac?

Not really, no. You can do it a few, half arsed, ways but they are really not worth it.

Unless you're playing really intensive games, have you considered using bootcamp to instal windows and play games on your iMac.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Well it depends on the Monitor.

The current Aluminum Cinema displays will work.
The old style translucent plastic cinema displays will need an adapter if they would work at all.

In either case you need a DVI port on your video card. Which any modern video card will have.

By the way if you are getting a gaming PC you should build it yourself and save some money. If you are going for a mid to high end gaming PC you will save a lot! For the tower all you need is a Motherboard, RAM, CPU, Video Card, Hard Drive, Optical Drive, Case, Power Supply and an OEM version of Windows. I highly recommend Newegg.com for the parts and the best bang for your buck video card is an Geforce 8800GT 512MB OC (overclocked to 660mhz). Just look at the video card guides on TomsHardwareGuide.com they come close to the 8800 Ultra and spank the Radeon 3870 and 8800 GTS.

If you don't mind my saying what I am considering for my next gaming rig
8800GT 512MB factory overclocked
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5Ghz (with aftermarket cooler)
Motherboard using either Intel P35 or X38 chipset built by either Gigabyte or ASUS that supports DDR2 1066+ standard and 1600mhz FSB (for overclocking)
4GB DDR2 1066mhz
150GB Raptor 10,000RPM HD
320GB 7200RPM HD
Dual Layer DVD Burner with Lightscribe
Blu Ray ROM Drive
RAIDMAX Smilodon Case
Enermax Modular 500w PSU (modular PSU's are great)
Logitech MX 518 mouse

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yeah, we're going to need a bit more info. Are you referring to an Apple-branded monitor? If so, they don't come in the 24" size. Or is it another brand like a Dell?

As és mentions, the only 24" "monitor" Apple sells is the iMac, which is an all-in-one computer with no simple way to connect other computers or devices to its display. There are some third-party hardware solutions you could try, but nothing ideal.

If you are in fact referring to a 24" monitor of some sort, chances are it would be compatible with your PC. Recent Macs use DVI connectivity, which is pretty common in PCs as well. But without knowing more specifics about your PC and monitor, it's hard for anyone to say for sure.

If you really want to connect both a PC and a Mac to a single display (and possibly keyboard and mouse), take a look at a KVM switch that will enable you to easily switch back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.