iBook BSOD! - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 3, 2008, 10:39 PM   #1
KenAllen07
macrumors member

iBook BSOD!

After mistakenly and unknowingly putting my iBook on my lap with a NeFeB magnet in my pocket, the hard drive was partially erased.

Afterwards I re-installed OSX and it worked for about 24 hours. Then it just froze up and crashed.

Now I hear some slight clicking out of the hard drive when booting up, and I get a blank light blue screen (not as crazy blue as the windows BSOD). When I try to put in the restore CD, or go into single user mode to do a fsck, it just stays at that blue screen.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks!
KenAllen07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

First off that must suck man. Hopefully all your data was previously backed up. And another, why would you walk around with a powerful magnet in your pocket

Did you try to do a hardware test using your HW test cd? Maybe the head got f'd up and scratched the platter. But doesn't a failing hdd just give the blinking "?" at start up? Anyone know if that magnet could have screwed up anything else? Good luck replacing the hdd, it'll be a long process. Check out ifixit.com for a how-to.
Old May 4, 2008, 07:35 AM   #3
KenAllen07
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
First off that must suck man. Hopefully all your data was previously backed up. And another, why would you walk around with a powerful magnet in your pocket

Did you try to do a hardware test using your HW test cd? Maybe the head got f'd up and scratched the platter. But doesn't a failing hdd just give the blinking "?" at start up? Anyone know if that magnet could have screwed up anything else? Good luck replacing the hdd, it'll be a long process. Check out ifixit.com for a how-to.
I have no idea why I was stupid enough to put the magnet in my pocket and then put my laptop on my lap.

I already had the laptop all apart, so it'll not be a problem anymore taking it back apart.
KenAllen07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs