Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Hope it makes it more stable.

I love Panther, but I'm having minor issues with it.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
yeah minor issues here too. i hope it fixes my bug of having 2 CD icons after burning... i wonder how long it take them to sift through through bug reports from the os x feedback page.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
HOPE

Do you think the upgrade with fix some of the firewire problems left out there..like mine...Where it gives power but nothing works..like my iPod and my firewire scanner :( ...

Tux Kapono

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
My iBook (G3 w/ Panther) froze three times in a week already, either while on iTunes or playing videos. The screen would freeze while the mouse was still active, then the mouse would freeze a few seconds later and I'd have to restart. My iBook used to freeze once every six months.

I'm just saving a lot while I await 10.3.2 and pray that it fixes this.

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
yeah minor issues here too. i hope it fixes my bug of having 2 CD icons after burning... i wonder how long it take them to sift through through bug reports from the os x feedback page.

Same here. It's not the end of the world, but it is really annoying.

Removing the "false" icon is a step that I really could do without...

Chad4Mac

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
i hope it fixes my bug of having 2 CD icons after burning... [/B]

Last night I burned a dvd in toast and it gave me 3 icons in the finder. I was like "yo what up with that"

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Re: Mac OS X 10.3.2 7D12 Seeded

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacNews.net.tc[/url] lists changes in...Graphics Drivers...

*Dreams*
nVidia performance finally upto what it should be
*Wakes up*

AppleMatt

eazyway

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Multiple burner icons

Make sure when you burn a CD that the buffer never fills up. You may have to burn a CD at a lower spin speed to achieve that. This will produce a better CD burn and likely no second or third icon.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
my one complaint is when the apple-tab shortcut stops working...
if my computer is on for too long without rebooting it does it...it's really frelling anoying! i can't go on my multiple months without rebooting...

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I hope 10.3.2 will fix all the cosmetic bugs. I'm not really having any of these other issues. Everything has been fine. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see less of the rainbow beachball.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
I hope it fixes the huge display issue with iBook SE's where it won't let you change the ColorSync profile from the native one which makes it really bright and washed out. It's hard to read black text on white background with it like that.

Datazoid

macrumors regular
May 10, 2002
Sherman,

A fix for this bug has been found and documented, there is a long discussion on Apple's forums here

The solution is basically as follows:
Use the ColorSync Utility to repair ColorSync profiles on your computer and then go to this folder:
System -> Library -> Displays -> Overrides

Now, highlight any folder named "DisplayVendorID-" and move them to the Trash. When I did this, it asked for my user password. I didn't actually delete them (just in case), but I did put them in the Trash and restart my computer. After restarting, I went into the Color option in the Displays system preference and clicked on calibrate, and I was finally able to use the display calibrator. I then restarted the computer after I was finished and my new setting held.

If you don't want to calibrate, and would prefer to just have your default profile, the iBook.icc file has been posted here, taken from an iBook 366 SE. To use it, before you restart, place this file in your Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder.

I was having this problem with an old Blueberry iMac, and am quite glad that somebody finally figured out what to do about it!

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Do you have a 3rd party hack? It seems odd that the switching would not show up after a while unless another program is interfering with its function.

no, it's a problem dating back to 10.0 actually...it was fixed for a while (10.0.3-10.2.8), then it just came back with 10.3.1....
no 3rd party hacks, as x11 is included...
but it does it on all my non-server machines...
it has something to do with the keyboard "engine" according to apple, and should be fixed soon

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by j33pd0g
I hope 10.3.2 will fix all the cosmetic bugs. I'm not really having any of these other issues. Everything has been fine. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see less of the rainbow beachball.

I'm sure you'd see less of the beachball, if you just filled your machine with RAM. With 1.5GB, I rarely see any beachballs and I'm only on a dual 800.

I'm sure Apple have their hands full, fixing all those little things that didn't arise in testing. I'm sure we'll be seeing some solid improvements in a few weeks.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by rodnarms
I find with Panther that Safari likes to crash. Safari seems to go under once every hour.

I've never once had Safari crash on me on my PB, so it's more complicated than a pure stability problem.

It could be some wierd interaction of hardware, upgraded OS's, third party software, solar flares, and the earth's angular momentum at your latitude.

If so it may take a while to identify...

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I agree, I have never once had Safari crash on me either so it has to be something more than just Panther since I've been using it since the day it came out.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
The only update I'm looking for is Safari 1.2! All my crashing is only due to one page and it's because of certain java code they run. It will run normal and all sudden while on the that page it will crash. It doesn't do it on other pages.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by ITR 81
The only update I'm looking for is Safari 1.2! All my crashing is only due to one page and it's because of certain java code they run. It will run normal and all sudden while on the that page it will crash. It doesn't do it on other pages.
Then it sounds like a Java problem, not a Safari problem :) The page may have a Java version dependency or some such. Are you running 1.3 or 1.4? The ADC site currently has a Java 1.4.2 seed available, so that update should be coming out in the not too distant future.

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
I've had four days with Panther 10.3.1 from an erase install on 12" PB 867MHz/Superdrive/640MB RAM. (I didn't use 10.3.0).

So far I've had very few issues, seems much snappier and more polished than 10.2.x. I've only had one app crash, and not had any of the problems reported here (I only get one CD icon, even when burning at full speed). I am annoyed that I have to get iDVD back off my restore DVD (still haven't done that yet), and that Norton tools don't work, but otherwise, thumbs up.

I do wonder about some developer's comitment to the Apple NDAs though; nothing seems to stay secret for more than a few hours.

Now I need to really get my teeth into Xcode. A final thought, Expose is great, but I still long for a virtual desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.