Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
So I got the bright idea the other day it would be fun to disassemble and reassemble my 5G iPod (don't ask why). Anyway, after I got it back together this is the message I am receiving and it only appears when plugged in and while I hold down a button. When I release one of the buttons the screen goes blank and thats it. The battery was fully charged before this fiasco, so I don't know why it would be dead. It has been charging for hours with nothing changing. Please help guys. Someone has to know what's gone wrong here.

Oz

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 80

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
reopen it and check your battery connection. there is also a possibility you may have broken the battery connection to the mainboard. be careful.

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Thanks Dino.

I did reopen and reconnect the cables. The broken cable may be the cause of this. It doesnt look broken, but who knows. Now if I reset it every 10 or so resets the black apple screen will come up like it is booting, then I get the dreaded sad face of death. Is there any hope to fix this?

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
one more thought, are you putting the cable back in the same direction as it was originally?

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 65

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Thanks again for the advice. That cable is in correctly. How could this disassembly result in bricking my freakin iPod? Anybody else have ideas?

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
So now I got it back together, but another whole new problem has come up. When I hold down one of the buttons the black apple screen will appear, but I get the sad face. I know I mentioned it before, but I need help on this one. This is after I ordered a new battery and have installed it.

Anyone?

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
So now I got it back together, but another whole new problem has come up. When I hold down one of the buttons the black apple screen will appear, but I get the sad face. I know I mentioned it before, but I need help on this one. This is after I ordered a new battery and have installed it.

Anyone?

Sad face = Bad.

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, I have unplugged and replugged in the HDD cable, but that seems to not change anything. What causes the sad face? HDD failure? Even though I was careful, could I have damaged the ribbon cable for the HDD? Would that cause this failure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.