Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Associated Press launched a web-portal for iPhone and iPod Touch users to deliver breaking news.

The new "Mobile News Network" is accessible from your iPhone or iPod Touch via apnews.com and provides an optimized site that delivers news from more than 100 newspapers.

The site is very well designed for an iPhone web-application and offers both photo and Quicktime video that plays directly on the iPhone.

Article Link

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Very neat mobile news app. I thought CNN:mobile was done well, but this is at a completely different level.

+1 for AP:news.

EDIT: AWESOME - the video/photo section is very very nice. wow! :eek:

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is really cool I am going to book mark this immediately.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Well executed. It has been WebClip'd and I imagine I will check it frequently. The photo portion is very snappy.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Very well done mobile news web site. The videos load slowly in edge but in my opinion this is just another reason that "flash" is not needed and that web sites all over are converting to the iPhone. I can see this in the future as more and more convert to the popularity because they want to pull users to their sites. The web icon is also pretty cool looking and has now found a home on screen 2.

ryanflanders256

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
Rupert Murdoch (Fox News) is on the AP board of directors

Rupert Murdoch, owner of News Corp. and FOX NOISE / FIXED NEWS, is now on the Associated Press board of directors.

http://redwoodage.com/content/view/134080/45/

I feel like I can't trust traditional news sources any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2pLo8JV5Y

If it's not outright propaganda, then it's trashy tabloid stories--distractions from more important issues.

Cheers to public radio and net neutrality,

Ryan

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
This will be a nice complement to the NY Times iPhone web app. (As in, somewhere to get that mainstream/junk/entertainment news fix.)

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I like it.

I hope more websites come up with these iPhone mobile webpages.

In particular, Amazon's mobile site would benefit from this type of arrangement to make content easier to access. The top bar could contain icons for account information, shopping cart, list of departments, and a search screen.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I like the Reuters one best so far but haven't tried AP yet. Thanks, I didn't realize they had a mobile option.

==

update: it loads a little slowly (it's BETA, it will get better if we all like it and they actually stick it on some righteous servers) but i already love the layout and preferences option.

I'm a fan, I bookmarked it.

andylewisdabomb

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
ITs sick as hell

This news application I feel is by far the best application dedicated to news service. Even the wacky news section is hilarious. More newspaper members will join this eventually so content will get onyl better. Its great on the go. Usability is amazing as well. :):):):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.