Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old May 5, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Ringtones don't show up on iPhone

Hi all,
I've had this problem for a while but previously had simply worked around it.
I've got a number of ringtones I made with an iPhone-ringtone-creator app.

If I rename them to .m4r and sync them up through iTunes, I see no custom ringtones on the phone (when checking on the phone- iTunes itself shows that the phone has these ringtones on them).

If I use the iPhone ringtone app to upload them, they worked fine. But then I couldn't sync from iTunes, or I'd lose everything.

Well, that app was a Windows app, and I've replaced my Windows desktop now with a new OS X machine...and the new machine has the same issue. So I finally decided to buckle down and ask for help

Anyone seen this before?
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 08:11 PM   #2
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Looks like I spoke a second too soon. When I sync all of my music and ringtones from the same PC, it looks like it works. Just now I was trying to sync only ringtones. Before, I was syncing my music off one and ringtones off of the other...

I just set it to sync all music and ringtones off of the same PC, and now the ringtones show up. Perhaps, for some reason, that was the cause of my problems.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Jushelly
macrumors newbie

I think I found the problem

I just discovered this on my own iPhone.. are the ringtones longer then 30 seconds? a second longer and they don't sync.iTunes still shows they're on the phone but they don't work as a ringtone. a very annoying limit iTunes set.
Jushelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:58 AM   #4
DPA
macrumors 65816

Location: trapped as a prisoner of a purple aurora and an aluminum device
I have ringtones I made on GarageBand with iTunes Plus (DRM Free) songs and they were longer than 30 seconds. In GarageBand, you can make ringtones up to 40 seconds. MIne were about 38 seconds and are my current ringtone. So, obviously, I got them on my iPhone.

David
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:12 AM   #5
DarkSideiPhone
macrumors newbie

Talking re

I know you guys may have already solved this but I did want to comment about the topic. I had made my own ringtones as well, but I used song files that were in my library. First, I converted them to AAC by right clicking, then moved the file to my desktop. Once on the desktop, I change the ".m4a" file extension to be ".m4r", creating a ringtone. With that I just added it to my ringtones library and I thought I was set.

Now I ran into the problem which you had, where you sync your phone but the ringtones do not show up for some reason. I thought about it for a little bit and I believe the problem was, at least for me, that when you have songs in your library that have the exact same file name as your ringtone one, or both, of the files will not show up.

My fix was just to change the file names of the ringtones.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem!
DarkSideiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
bndconway
macrumors newbie

Ringtone problems

I changed the file names by adding rt to the ends, and it worked great!

Thanks for a simple fix!
bndconway is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting