Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
All but 2 of these are HDR (the stairway and the street sign one aren't). Enjoy. C&C welcome.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
To me those look like very awsome shots. I'm still looking for the 'night' shot. I wanted to do some in Pensacola when I visited my parents but didn't have the chance. Hopefully I'll get a chance soon.

Great work.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
The most successful night shots, IMO, are taken during the 'magic hour': after the sun has gone down, but while there's still light in the sky.

In most of these shots, there's a lot of very dark sky - almost black - and not enough bridge. This contrast makes the bridge almost invisible in some shots. Try to shoot a bit earlier, while the ambient light and artificial lights are more 'in balance'... :)

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
The most successful night shots, IMO, are taken during the 'magic hour': after the sun has gone down, but while there's still light in the sky.

In most of these shots, there's a lot of very dark sky - almost black - and not enough bridge. This contrast makes the bridge almost invisible in some shots. Try to shoot a bit earlier, while the ambient light and artificial lights are more 'in balance'... :)

On my screen and a couple other screens the sky looks more blue...def not black...

Also, I started a new thread because I want direct C&C of my photos, that thread is so large, chances of getting good feedback are very slim

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I like the 1st example and really like the 4th one, the light under the bridge made that one so much better, which will go with Doylem's comment about lighting.

No disrespect but why the separate thread from the HDR thread?

To be honest, I was liking the HDR thread...but it got so big I gave up trying to look through it.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I like the 1st example and really like the 4th one, the light under the bridge made that one so much better, which will go with Doylem's comment about lighting.

To be honest, I was liking the HDR thread...but it got so big I gave up trying to look through it.

Thanks. I am pretty new to HDR so I'm learning a lot. I've been reading some good articles online about the topic and plan on reworking some of the more "mediocre" pictures I have taken.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Compositionally, the third one is the best to my eye. It needs something interesting in the sky to be great though- lightning or just good clouds. I'd try starting before sunset when the sky's still lit up and then going until after dark to get a good range of shots and options. Depending on where the sun's setting, a lightly clouded day or heavily clouded would be my choice.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
How many different shots (exposures) did you take?

What's the best way to figure out which exposures (and how many) should be taken??

I only tried HDR once - I think I took 3 shots and -1,0,+1 (or something like that), and merged them in Photoshop - the results weren't too impressive. Perhaps the exposure range should be greater? Or I should have taken more than 3?

Thanks

Edit - or does anyone have any really good links to HDR Tutorials? There are so many out there...not sure which are the most effective.

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
The composition on the third shot is fantastic -- but the bridge doesn't "pop" enough.

The first shot, I love the lighting, but not the composition -- maybe try straightening a bit and perhaps a bit of a crop on the right.

The "stairs" shot has the potentional to very strong, but I'd straighten it. It also looks a bit soft -- longer exposure handheld? If you can take it again, try a tripod, with the lens stopped down so you have sharper focus throughout. I feel like there should be texture in the stone of the stairwell that the image doesn't convey.

You've got some very nice locations here -- if you can visit again, having a much better knowledge of what you have the potential to shoot, I bet you'll find the results to be superior.

How wide was the lens you were using?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I don't like to drag photographers down, but in all honesty these images don't do anything, they lack true composition. They're bland and lack feeling.

Instead of going out with a mission on shooting pictures for HDR in hopes that it will make it awesome, focus on setting up a great breath taking shot.

This goes to prove that even HDR can't make a bad composition look better.

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey
Enjoyed these shots. I used to live right around there, and I don't recall it looking quite so nice in person, so you've definitely achieved something! Good work. :)

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Madgoat, to each his own. Now everyone is gonna like every picture, that's why there are so many different ways to shoot pictures and ways to touch them up or not. I've received many more compliments than negative criticism on this board and others, so I feel I've done a good job.

Radiohead, Easton really isn't that bad at night, it's just a bunch of wanna be gangsters.

Macmama, That's what most people have said who live in the area or have been there. Thanks

I took one of the pictures and just did some Aperture editing with a little bit of PS sharpening. Let me know what you think.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.