Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 6, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

After abandoning iTunes, NBC shows up on Zune

Category: Videos
Link: After abandoning iTunes, NBC shows up on Zune
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
DMann
Banned

Nbc

1,000,000 Zunes sold since 2006....... This ought to bring NBC lots of business.
DMann is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 12:38 PM   #3
mrrydogg
macrumors regular

So does this mean that NBC gets a share of the Zune's hardware sales? Since that seemed to be their big complaint with Apple.

Man they really showed Apple with this deal. They complained that they "only" made 15 million off the iTunes deal, wonder how long it will take them to make that with Microsoft?

What a joke.
Old May 6, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
elppa
macrumors 68040

I don't think NBC having given up entirely on iTunes.

Last I heard they were renegotiating.
elppa is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 12:54 PM   #5
awal
macrumors member

I just bought a ticket to travel to London on the Titanic.

I can't wait to watch NBC on Zune during my trip.

Why can't NBC just "man up" and admit they made a mistake?
awal is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 12:59 PM   #6
SinfonianShrek
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to SinfonianShrek Send a message via AIM to SinfonianShrek Send a message via Yahoo to SinfonianShrek
My two cents:

NBC not only wanted a cut of hardware but I think they expected immediate miracle sales status from iTunes, meaning they expected their sales numbers to equal and surpass the number of illicit downloads of their content within the first couple months.

I don't know why but it seems to me that a lot of companies that were incredibly resistant to digital distribution when it first started booming were expecting way too much from it when they came late and under dressed for the party.

Of course now NBC has signed up with Microsoft, probably receiving a portion of the players' pricepoints. Of course look at the market share for video-capable media players and the total video content sales and I'd wager (since I have no real numbers to back this up) the iTunes + iPod combo is leaps and bounds ahead. Just look at how many players are being sold and then look at the amount of content being sold. I'd wager the numbers are rather disproportionate.

It won't be long until NBC is kicking themselves in the giblets over this bone-headed move, methinks.
SinfonianShrek is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 01:05 PM   #7
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
I don't think NBC having given up entirely on iTunes.

Last I heard they were renegotiating.
A few of their shows have just showed up on the UK iTunes Store.
OllyW is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 01:48 PM   #8
nickXedge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by awal View Post
I just bought a ticket to travel to London on the Titanic.

I can't wait to watch NBC on Zune during my trip.

Why can't NBC just "man up" and admit they made a mistake?
ZINNNNNNNGGGGGG! Nice, seriously, I enjoyed that.

I agree completely. I want The Office back on iTunes immediately. This whole thing is stupid. Maybe when NBC gets into high school they will grow up and apologize for being childish.
Old May 6, 2008, 01:52 PM   #9
nickXedge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
I don't know a whole lot about the situation with production companies and broadcasting companies but this is how I understand it:

You can still find some shows that air on NBC on iTunes however they are not licensed to NBC for distribution, they are ABC, CBS, etc. Alternately, there are a few shows on other stations such as ABC, CBS, etc. that you will not find on iTunes because they are NBC produced shows. Just because a show airs on NBC doesn't mean you won't find it on iTunes, it matters who has the distribution authority over it.

Again, I'm not entirely positive on this but I think it's accurate. If you have a correction please feel free to explain it better, or more accurately.
Old May 6, 2008, 01:57 PM   #10
almostinsane
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMann View Post
1,000,000 Zunes sold since 2006....... This ought to bring NBC lots of business.
+ 15,000,000 Xbox 360's and other Media Center Extenders.
almostinsane is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 02:14 PM   #11
Ryanr14
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Ryanr14 Send a message via MSN to Ryanr14
Numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post
Too bad there are already over 60 million ipods out there. That's besides the fact that iPods are being built into cellphones these days, namely the iPhone. Where is Microsofts awesome media phone?
Ryanr14 is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 02:16 PM   #12
almostinsane
macrumors regular

It's all about competition. If there weren't any then the iPod wouldn't have any new features.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:20 PM   #13
Whiskerdreams
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Whiskerdreams
Hmm... 15m Xbox's...

Well... Looking on-line...

Apple passed the 100,000,000 mark in sold iPods recently... And it's still growing the market by about 5% according to their recent SEC filing.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:31 PM   #14
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
haha, wow. well, i never like NBC all that much anyways, now i really don't like them
Old May 6, 2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanr14 View Post
Too bad there are already over 60 million ipods out there. That's besides the fact that iPods are being built into cellphones these days, namely the iPhone. Where is Microsofts awesome media phone?
Not to mention the fact that a lot of people still buy TV programmes and films to *gasp* watch on their computers and not to watch on their iPods (old fashioned eh? ). iTunes has by far and away the biggest installed user base of any media player.
Cromulent is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 02:39 PM   #16
gkarris
macrumors 604

So, let me get this straight.

NBC wanted to charge more on iTunes and left since Apple wanted to charge only $1.99 per episode.

So, instead, they're on Zune, where they're charging $1.99 per episode....

That's smart....
Old May 6, 2008, 04:26 PM   #17
elppa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
I reckon they are making up for lost time. We get all the best stuff on iTunes now. The US store doesn't even have Shaun the Sheep.
elppa is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 04:34 PM   #18
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Well damnit I just miss NBC! I don't care if they're stupid....I like stupid things.
GoCubsGo is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 04:36 PM   #19
The Toon Master
macrumors 6502

Ha, look who's crawling back, and it wasn't Apple as NBC expected
The Toon Master is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 04:52 PM   #20
zombitronic
macrumors 65816

My post was deleted! Lame! 1984... Possibly because I mentioned, uh, green...citrus fruit...cable. Rhymes with ime ire. I guess we can't talk about these issues in the open.

My point was that some of the people who were willing to pay for an episode of an NBC show on iTunes may resort to downloading a pirated version...elsewhere. My guess is that this has hindered NBC's profits over the last few months more than it has helped them.
zombitronic is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 04:58 PM   #21
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombitronic View Post
My post was deleted! Lame! 1984... Possibly because I mentioned, uh, green...citrus fruit...cable. Rhymes with ime ire. I guess we can't talk about these issues in the open.

My point was that some of the people who were willing to pay for an episode of an NBC show on iTunes may resort to downloading a pirated version...elsewhere. My guess is that this has hindered NBC's profits over the last few months more than it has helped them.
Agreed. NBC only hurts itself by taking away the legal options. Then again, it's still legal to record the show off the TV, so one would have to question why it's illegal to download it. Just to prove my point, there used to be a product called VCR Plus, and you could just plug in a Program code and the VCR Plus would know what channel and what time to start recording. Where could you get these codes??? Why, from the TV guide itself, of course.
Old May 6, 2008, 05:13 PM   #22
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Good riddance, and have fun hunting those fertile grounds.
Old May 6, 2008, 05:15 PM   #23
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post
What are the current figures on media sales to XBox / MCE users? I'm pretty sure that Microsoft and the other retailers that use it (?) aren't in the top few music retailers?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ler-in-us.html

Thumb resize.

Rhapsody isn't an XBox/MCE product, is it? Amazon includes Unbox sales, but I presume that is still a small fraction of their business?

Are there any comparable figures on how much video is sold through the XBox/MCE channel?
Old May 6, 2008, 05:43 PM   #24
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanr14 View Post
Not to mention the millions of installations of iTunes and the (who knows how many) TVs.
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old May 6, 2008, 08:45 PM   #25
almostinsane
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Not to mention the fact that a lot of people still buy TV programmes and films to *gasp* watch on their computers and not to watch on their iPods (old fashioned eh? ). iTunes has by far and away the biggest installed user base of any media player.
Windows Media Player has the largest installed base by far and away.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion