Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Is it possible to add to my sources through my Mac? It is so painful to type in each source, wait for it to refresh, then repeat. Is there a .plist file or something that I can edit to add new sources on my computer, then SSH it back?

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
You do realise that is much more complicated!

I suggest if you want to do that - you go to hackint0sh forums and ask there.. however I also imagine that if you were to SSH into the phone and check Installer files (I believe they are located in springboard) then you could easily edit the plist file or whatever it is that has the sources list.

Templex

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You might be interested in iBuilder, which creates bundle files that can be used with PwnageTool's IPSW Builder. Not sure about adding sources to Installer, but you can have all your apps pre-installed. Great little program; unfortunately, it's Windows only, so you'll have to run it on a PC, through VMware/Parallels, or Boot Camp.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Ok all, I answered my own question today. Here is a quick how-to.

Install OpenSSH on your iPhone.
SSH into your iPhone using your favorite FTP client.
Navigate to "/var/mobile/Library/Installer"
In that folder there will be multiple .plist files, download "PackageSources.plist"
::The following step is much easier on a Mac, since there are programs made to do this, I am not sure if there are programs made for PCs too.::
Open the .plist file and add in the new sources you want to add.
Send the file back to your iPhone.
Open Installer.app
Refresh your sources, and you they are good to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.