Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
For most (apps and folders, for example) you change the icon of the item itself the normal cut and paste way, and then drag the altered icon onto the Dock, in place of the old one.

Some icons can't be changed that easily though – Finder and Trash are two that require either some behind the scenes replacing of files, or the use of an app like CandyBar. This makes changing the icon easier and safer, but the app isn't free.

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
For most (apps and folders, for example) you change the icon of the item itself the normal cut and paste way, and then drag the altered icon onto the Dock, in place of the old one.

Some icons can't be changed that easily though – Finder and Trash are two that require either some behind the scenes replacing of files, or the use of an app like CandyBar. This makes changing the icon easier and safer, but the app isn't free.

Ok thanks...

but... what is the normal cut and paste way?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Ok thanks...

1. Find the Icon that you wan to use, and copy it.

2. Select the application that you want to change the icon.

3. Use GET INFO on the application.

4. Highlight the icon in the Get Info dialog.

5. Paste the new icon.

6. Then drag the app to the dock.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Ok thanks...

1. Go to a website with icons (or make your icon), like interfacelift.

2. download icons

3. select the icon that you downloaded, copy it

4. bring up the application that you want, hit: apple + i
Paste on the icon that you see in the information box.

Edit: Sushi beat me to it, and to answer your question...about one-third of my icons are replaced: Microsoft Office, Keynote, iMovie, iTunes, Safari, Adium, Mail and some others

That's the method I use.

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
nvm i got it.. but the icon shows up as a png icon not the actual icon

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Interesting.

I guess I must be lazy as I have not changed any of mine! :p

Sometimes there is a functional reason. For example I changed the stack icons to be something easily recognizable as downloads, documents or apps. Other times an app will just have an awful/clashing icon like Metax.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
It's been a while since I have downloaded icons, but usually, the icons I have downloaded for Mac have all been folders.

1) I'd select the folder and get info (command-i).
2) When the info window opens, I'd click on the icon pic in the upper-left corner and copy (command-c).
3) Close that window and click on the icon (file or folder) you want to change and get info again (command-i).
4) Click on the icon in the upper-left corner and paste (command-v).

If you're trying to copy an image and make it into an icon, I usually have luck opening the pic in QuickTime, making the picture maximum size (this used to matter) by pressing command-3, then copying the picture by pressing command-c. Once copied, go back to step 3 above.

prudhommes

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
"Get Info"

When I open the "get info" window, the icon in the upper left hand corner is not the image I want to set as the new icon. Instead a default "preview" image with the file type suffix appears. I downloaded the set online and they are all .png files. I've attached a screenshot of what I mean. Please help me if anybody knows how to fix this.

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 98,188

Seppola

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
Norway
I was trying to change an icon just now, and i found this page:
http://iconverticons.com/

It converts your image into an icon you can use, all you have to do is choose the image and upload it. Then download the -hqx file. When you have this file, open your downloads folder and click this file, then cmd-i and copy this file's icon and paste it over the icon of your desired app. Just to explain further, you cmd-i both the downloaded file and your app, then you use the icon on the side of the name of the name of your app.

This is the icon you change, here I've selected the Adium icon.
Adium.png

Good luck.

admo

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I have a weird non-urgent icon issue. I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6 (actually, installed 10.6 on a new drive, and used migration assistant to pull over apps and documents from my 10.4 drive). In the dock, it looks like my games folder icon is actually a pdf icon. It had been a custom folder icon before, and I cut and pasted the regular 10.6 folder icon to the games folder info box, but it is still appearing as a pdf document. Still opens as a folder, but just a cosmetic oddity. Any ideas?

HappyCheese

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
When I open the "get info" window, the icon in the upper left hand corner is not the image I want to set as the new icon. Instead a default "preview" image with the file type suffix appears. I downloaded the set online and they are all .png files. I've attached a screenshot of what I mean. Please help me if anybody knows how to fix this.

Thanks

I was having the same problem with .ICNS files. The first useful tip I found was to double click on the default preview in the info page and see the the icon/image will pull up in preview. If you can see the target image you want to use as the icon you might try changing the file name or location temporarily. In my specific case the file wouldn't pull up in preview so I figure it was the .ICNS file itself that had problems. After going back to where I originally downloaded it and opening it up I realized that several versions (an "alias", black and white, different sizes, etc) were all saved in the same .ICNS file. I just had to open it and copy paste the specific version for the info page to use and it works now.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I've found candybar more reliable than some other methods for changing dock icons. Also, if you want to change a stacks icon, then you can paste any icon file in that folder and just name it _ or type a space and it will show up first and as the stack/dock icon.

golder

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
icons in dock

I just upgraded from a G4 powerbook to a shiny new MacBook Pro. My custom icons all came over ok in the file lists and on the get info boxes but when I drag them to the dock they convert back to a boring old file folder. Any ideas?

gbouras

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I just upgraded from a G4 powerbook to a shiny new MacBook Pro. My custom icons all came over ok in the file lists and on the get info boxes but when I drag them to the dock they convert back to a boring old file folder. Any ideas?

Hi, I think this may have happened to me too... I might have misunderstood your problem, but if I haven't: try right-clicking on the folder icon on the dock. Check to see if it is set to "Display As: Folder". If it's set to "Display As Stack" (which seems to be the default), change it to "Display as: Folder".

Hope this helps

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Is this a common need/desire -- to change application Icons in the dock?
Yes, usually followed by an urgent call for help because the Desktop is all fuzted up.

I guess I must be lazy as I have not changed any of mine! :p
Naw, just prudent, satisfied, hands have no time on them.

Sometimes there is a functional reason. Other times an app will just have an awful/clashing icon like Metax.
Clashing with what? Put it in the corner. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.