Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daryliow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Hi,

I have just purchased and installed the a brand new Mac Airport Extreme Base Station

It has been on for an hour now and it is pretty hot:

1) is this normal?

2) is it safe to leave it on 24/7?

Thanks

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I purchased mine last week and it does get pretty hot, i think this is normal as it doesnt have ventilation or a fan. I havent turned mine off since i set it up. its a network router so I would assume apple made it to withstand constant usage. I would just turn it off like once a week for a little while until it cools down.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Mine's on all the time at the moment, no problems so far. As bigjnyc says, it's a networking component so it's designed to be on all the time.

daryliow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Mine's on all the time at the moment, no problems so far. As bigjnyc says, it's a networking component so it's designed to be on all the time.

But does yours feel pretty hot?

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Mine is rather warm as well, but not hot. It's well-ventilated, with lots of open space around it.

Is yours closed in at all? I remember that the set-up guide was specific about leaving room for it to breathe.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Mines been on continuously for about six months now, and I've had no problems. It gets very warm but It doesn't seem to affect things.

I don't worry about it. It just sits out of the way and does it's thing..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.