Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:55 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

File Journaling in OSX 10.3 (Panther) Explained

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: File Journaling in OSX 10.3 (Panther) Explained

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:48 PM   #2
Awimoway
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The problem is that journaling takes time. Enough time that it is worth considering turning journaling off on all your media drives. The benefit is that you get faster performance. The disadvantage is that in the event of a crash, you don't have the protection journaling provides. On the third hand, hard drives with journaling turned off are in no worse shape than hard drives running under OS 10.2.
I, for one, have noticed no slowness on my MDD G4 with journaling on. What kind of slowness should one expect?
Awimoway is offline   0
Old Nov 21, 2003, 12:27 AM   #3
Marble
macrumors 6502a

For example, on my 4200rpm notebook drive, writing to the journal takes half a second or so every time I move one of my files to another directory. Therefore, if I want to just move a photo from my desktop to my users folder, it feels like the computer has to think about it for a moment before performing the application. This doesn't seem to be noticeable at all on the fast dekstop drives.
Marble is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion