Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
jettoblack
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Show size of selected files

Hey guys, my apologies if this has been asked a lot before, I tried searching the forum but didn't find anything relevant.

I want to know if there's any way of showing the total size of selected files/folders in the status bar at the bottom of a finder window, similar to what Windows has. Finder only shows you the total free HD space, which is useful, but knowing the size of selected files is MUCH more useful to me.

For example, say I'm trying to archive a folder containing many gigs of small files to multiple DVD-Rs. I need to select 4.3GB worth of files. On Windows, this is incredibly easy: just ctrl-click until the total size (as reported on the status bar) reaches just under 4.3GB.

On OSX, this is incredibly time consuming and annoying. You have to select some files and then hit Option-Cmd-I to see the total size (and poor you if you forgot the Option key and end up opening a ton of single file info windows which have to be closed one by one). Then if the size isn't right, you hit Cmd-W to close the info window, change your file selection, and hit Option-Cmd-I again, ad infinium. Oh and if you accidentally double-click while doing this Cmd-I, click, Cmd-W dance, you'll end up opening/executing all of the selected files, which can mean hundreds of windows and programs opening suddenly.

Does anyone know of a utility or something which can show the selected files' total size in the folder status bar? Or any other easy way to do this? Thanks!
jettoblack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2
TH-Gunner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Instead of "Get Info," use "Show Inspector." Do it the same way you would go to "Get Info," except hold down Alt/Option before you click. "Get Info" will turn into "Show Inspector." It's a floating window, so you can continue clicking your Finder windows and icons and it will stay on top. It will also update as you select new files. Try it.

1. Open up a Finder window (Applications folder will provide the best example.)
2. Right-click a file/program
3. Hold Alt/Option
4. Choose "Show Inspector"
5. Now hold Apple/Command and click other files. They will be added to the selection and therefore the Inspector window.
__________________
"I have used a mac before. And they still don't have right click I mean come on. - aakar
LOL
TH-Gunner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Undecided
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH-Gunner View Post
Instead of "Get Info," use "Show Inspector." Do it the same way you would go to "Get Info," except hold down Alt/Option before you click. "Get Info" will turn into "Show Inspector." It's a floating window, so you can continue clicking your Finder windows and icons and it will stay on top. It will also update as you select new files. Try it.

1. Open up a Finder window (Applications folder will provide the best example.)
2. Right-click a file/program
3. Hold Alt/Option
4. Choose "Show Inspector"
5. Now hold Apple/Command and click other files. They will be added to the selection and therefore the Inspector window.
I realize this is old but thanks! I just love discovering new tricks on Macs.
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Blanch
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Good Tip

Right click/ command click, same diff. Thanks for the tip, I knew this was possible, just not how. The multiple item list stays in place when re-selecting alternate multiple items. Useful for compressing files into a certain size zip
Blanch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:17 AM   #5
keskeseksa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
"User Obnoxious"

OSX 10.7 has brought marvelous new features, however I feel the developers of 10.7 have now crossed the line between "user friendly" and "user obnoxious" (remember the little Microsoft robot?).
I am a person who has never used a PC because my brain does not function like a PC.
I used MS in the past, as well as Adobe PageMaker.
MS and Adobe are now banned in my computer because they have become too complicated for my day-to-day use, and I can always find a lighter Mac-friendly application that fulfills my needs.
Are some of these 10.7 developers ex-PC people? Probably so.
The above subject is a typical example: why are we not able to choose whether we want to be able to see the size and number of Folders/Files? Why?
Why the need to go to Inspector?
Another example is the window shown when shutting down the system.
Each time I am forced to uncheck "Reopen windows when logging back in".
I NEVER want to reopen windows when logging back in.
Why can't we have a choice?
Truly it's becoming "user obnoxious".
Let's hope these features will be corrected.
keskeseksa is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 01:43 PM   #6
keskeseksa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
as simple as that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettoblack View Post
Does anyone know of a utility or something which can show the selected files' total size in the folder status bar? Or any other easy way to do this? Thanks!
Just highlight the folder and press space bar!
keskeseksa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 01:45 PM   #7
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by keskeseksa View Post
Just highlight the folder and press space bar!
But that is not the same, as one might select some files and not all files in a folder.

I use CMD+OPTION+I for that though.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I think the previous reply missed a subtle difference: files' not file's.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:51 PM   #9
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by keskeseksa View Post
Are some of these 10.7 developers ex-PC people? Probably so.
The above subject is a typical example: why are we not able to choose whether we want to be able to see the size and number of Folders/Files? Why?
Why the need to go to Inspector?
Another example is the window shown when shutting down the system.
Each time I am forced to uncheck "Reopen windows when logging back in".
I NEVER want to reopen windows when logging back in.
Why can't we have a choice?

They're probably not ex-PC people because:

1. Windows Explorer shows you the selected file size in the status bar
2. Windows doesn't prompt you to reopen Windows

So in some sense, Windows is more friendly than OSX these days.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change "show item info" in Finder icon view to show size of folder instead of items? drought OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Jan 17, 2014 11:52 PM
Subtitles don't show while visible and selected in Captions Harm Brugge Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Nov 3, 2013 10:14 AM
see total file size of selected files ? anonymous4a OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Aug 19, 2013 11:49 AM
How to Show Size of Multiple Files cambookpro Mac Basics and Help 4 Jul 21, 2013 07:10 AM
begin until end of selected text size nxcoder iPhone/iPad Programming 2 Dec 30, 2012 06:16 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC