Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrizztiann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Ok well I'm thinking about getting either the iphone 8gb/16gb. I'll prob buy the 8gb one due to money issues....Was going to buy a ipod touch but I would rather have a phone and ipod all in one package so I'ma get a iphone...plus the iphone is sexy!!!

But yeah my questions...

As you know Im planning on buying a iphone and unlock(I got t-mobile)/jailbreak it...now lets say in a few years or two....I get the chance to actually pay for one of the AT&T plans..

If I did a simple restore to my unlocked/jailbroken iphone through itunes or restore it manually will I be able to activate it through itunes and pay for a plan???...

Another question/thing to make sure

At the moment I have tmobile...I got a simple plan....pay for texts...certian number of min per month and free calls/minutes after 9 and on the weekend. Now just wanted to make sure...

If I was to unlock my soon to be 8gb iphone with i liberty+. Then just pop in my sim card...all I would have to pay is my normal tmobile plan/bill right?? Nothing extra...I won't get fined for using the whole internet/safari feature with a wireless internet connection at my highschool or home right??... So in other words I won't have to pay any extra costs...just pay the regular bill/plan I have with tmobile?..

Just wanted to make sure because my sister got me paranoid about paying my phone bill if I was to unlock a iphone and use my tmobile sim with when she said I would still get charged for internet access/use....even though... I think I wouldn't since if I was to use the internet through my iphone I would use a wireless router/connection anyways...which should mean I shouldn't get fined/billed for that...

noobiestyle

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Calgary ab
Ok well I'm thinking about getting either the iphone 8gb/16gb. I'll prob buy the 8gb one due to money issues....Was going to buy a ipod touch but I would rather have a phone and ipod all in one package so I'ma get a iphone...plus the iphone is sexy!!!

But yeah my questions...

If I were to unlock/jailbreak a iphone with i liberty+ will it cause me to lose some gb on my iphone??...Because I saw a ziphone 3.0/iphone unlocking video...and well after he finished the whole unlock/jailbreak it showed that he lost about 2gb of space/capacity??..Is this normal....

i used iliberty+ my first time and i swear ther was no loss of 2gbs maybee a few hundred kilbytes but thats it.

Another question...

As you know Im planning on buying a iphone and unlock(I got t-mobile)/jailbreak it...now lets say in a few years or two....I get the chance to actually pay for one of the AT&T plans..

If I did a simple restore to my unlocked/jailbroken iphone through itunes or restore it manually will I be able to activate it through itunes and pay for a plan???...

Not quite sher but i belive that iliberty has the fakebootloader or something.. and can be undecteded I belive

Another question/thing to make sure

At the moment I have tmobile...I got a simple plan....pay for texts...certian number of min per month and free calls/minutes after 9 and on the weekend. Now just wanted to make sure...

If I was to unlock my soon to be 8gb iphone with i liberty+. Then just pop in my sim card...all I would have to pay is my normal tmobile plan/bill right?? Nothing extra...I won't get fined for using the whole internet/safari feature with a wireless internet connection at my highschool or home right??... So in other words I won't have to pay any extra costs...just pay the regular bill/plan I have with tmobile?..I use my phone all time on the WIFI and its free no charge.. at home works wonders but last night at the bar was soo Slow because it was a free 30 min trial..

Just wanted to make sure because my sister got me paranoid about paying my phone bill if I was to unlock a iphone and use my tmobile sim with when she said I would still get charged for internet access/use....even though... I think I wouldn't since if I was to use the internet through my iphone I would use a wireless router/connection anyways...which should mean I shouldn't get fined/billed for that...

Just dont setup the edge or else your going to be looking at a masive bill. WIFI is free and apple cant charge you to use your home network..

Chrizztiann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Will Unlocking/Jailbreaking a Iphone cause me to lose GB's?

But yeah I plan on buying a iphone and unlock/jailbreak it with i liberty+.

Now if I were to unlock/jailbreak a iphone with i liberty+ will it cause me to lose some gb on my iphone??...Because I saw a ziphone 3.0/iphone unlocking video...and well after he finished the whole unlock/jailbreak it showed that he lost about 2gb of space/capacity??..Is this normal....

In other words if I were to jailbreak/unlock a iphone straight out of the box will i still have 8gb or 16gb left in the end still as I should??

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
first of all, iliberty. not ziphone.

my 8gb has 7.27gb - fully unlocked (before i put all my crap on it)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just dont setup the edge or else your going to be looking at a masive bill. WIFI is free and apple cant charge you to use your home network..

No... this is not correct. T-Mobile won't let you use EDGE unless you're paying for it. So unless you have some kind of pay as you go plan that allows you to use EDGE by expending minutes or something, you don't have to worry about this. If you don't have any data service plan, the phone will just refuse to use anything requiring data services when not on a WiFi network.

You lose a little space to installing installer.app and BSD subsystem when you jailbreak, but it's not 2GB. It's just a small number of megabytes.

Chrizztiann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
No... this is not correct. T-Mobile won't let you use EDGE unless you're paying for it. So unless you have some kind of pay as you go plan that allows you to use EDGE by expending minutes or something, you don't have to worry about this. If you don't have any data service plan, the phone will just refuse to use anything requiring data services when not on a WiFi network.

You lose a little space to installing installer.app and BSD subsystem when you jailbreak, but it's not 2GB. It's just a small number of megabytes.

Ooh thanks for clearing that up. :D

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008

^^ Pretty mush what he said. I have unlocked several iPhones, and it takes no where near that much space.

noobiestyle

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Calgary ab

im saying WIFI is free no matter what.. EDGE on the other had as for me when i bought my LG shine on a rogers plan lets me use edge and 3g(if the iphone used it) if i have the setup codes..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm saying that with T-Mobile postpaid, the phone is not able to access EDGE services unless the account has EDGE access, so it is not possible to accidentally be charged for data service access by setting up the phone and unwittingly using it on the T-Mobile network for data.... It's a different situation than, say, international roaming, where by default you get charged as you use it for data services, and they're automatically active.

Chrizztiann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Just wanted to make sure/ask this question again to make sure. Because I'ma probably get the iphone 8gb this weekend. Really need a phone now...and can't wait for the next gen iphone..

But yeah, just wanted to make sure that if I was to buy a iphone 8gb, unlock it/jailbreak it with i liberty+, then just pop in my tmobile sim card. I won't get charged anything then my regular normal tmobile bill?? Right no extra fees??..
I don't plan on getting a data plan or anything like that...I'ma just be using wifi networks at my school/home/other places to use the internet. But yeah just wanted to make sure no extra fees right??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.