Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget reports that O2 has posted a notice on their website that both the 8GB and 16GB iPhones are no longer available in the UK. This confirms earlier reports that O2 had end-of-life'd the 8GB iPhone, though it appears even the 16GB iPhone has also run its course.

While the next generation iPhone has been long rumored, most expectations have pointed to an announcement at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference which is not scheduled for more than a month from now.

Meanwhile, we have heard that U.S. stock for the 8GB iPhone has also dwindled down dramatically with few new shipments coming in.

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so, the question becomes... is Apple really going to stop selling the iPhone altogether in the UK for the next 4 weeks?

I suppose sales probably dwindled down anyway, but it's still surprising they let it get to 0.

arn

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
For the phone to really take off, the 3G version must be available across multiple carriers, on both pay monthly, and pay as you go.

But I, like a lot of people, will not pay £250+ for a phone, AND £35+ a month for a contract I simply don't need.

Doug

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
O.K. Just seems plausible, as I just bought an iPhone for my wife.

Now could we please get the next iteration out?

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
i suppose this is the first time for such kind of announcement on Apple products. Isn't it better to let users know for a new product is coming within a month?! Or, isn't it better to lower the price for the current lineup of iPhone?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Is it just me, or has this not been fully thought through?

Leaving a over a months gap. Most people are going to think that it is no longer available at all, not just being replaced in June/July.

This is a bad idea.

thelairster

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
It's too spooky and too long until the end of june. Maybe they will dust off some unsold newtons to bridge the gap?

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
so, the question becomes... is Apple really going to stop selling the iPhone altogether in the UK for the next 4 weeks?

I suppose sales probably dwindled down anyway, but it's still surprising they let it get to 0.

arn

I can't imagine, that a CEO thinks this is a wise decision. Four weeks of absolutely NO iPhone sale will send the stock price down. I'm currently desperately waiting on news, or I should just sell my stock!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
lol, randomness. I guess all it means is that a new rev. is coming SOON.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
well, no longer available from o2 in uk. apple store uk seems to be selling them with shipping within 24h. o2 just got rid of their stock. maybe they're taking a break to decide whether to carry the next generation model or not, and on what terms.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I guess we can expect a release on or near WWDC, as compared to an announcement with a release in the following months.

They probably figure it's pointless to sell these phones weeks before another release, causing another outrage in which they have to issue giftcards.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
It could simply be an inventory issue. They knew that the 3G iPhone was coming on a certain date but realised that they had a backlog of them which they just wouldn't be able to sell in that time frame.

So they introduce the subsidy and it sells out far quicker than expected. Leaving the gap we have now.

A minor anecdote... I went 4 months without seeing another iPhone in the UK. In the past few weeks I have spotted at least 10.

J

jmadlena

I can't imagine, that a CEO thinks this is a wise decision. Four weeks of absolutely NO iPhone sale will send the stock price down. I'm currently desperately waiting on news, or I should just sell my stock!

I don't think it would be a good idea to sell your Apple stock just because there _might_ be a downturn temporarily. I think we all know that Apple is going a lot higher than $183. If you believe in the company and that it is a sound investment, stick with them.

My 2¢.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005

It is available in the UK Apple stores.

mooty

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
UK
I guess this puts to rest the possible "August summer holiday" release for Europe of the next-gen iPhone... There is no way Apple would make the phone unavailable for this long.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

You were around for the Letter Jobs had to write due to the price drop angering people? Don't you think the world would want a subtle sign a new phone is coming? Not being able to (easily) buy the current version helps the uninformed customer.

What's 4 weeks of sales? Jeeez - They'll sell that amount in the first few days. Apple is ratcheting up the tension and anticipation, to get it all ready to be turned into sales.

The stock is going to go FLYING UP, due to the amazing new products that have been in the infamous pipeline.
If you're that short sighted, I wouldn't recommend having stock.

It was "by" August mooty :) Here's to that being this side of July.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
This doesnt take into account it's retail stores.

I went into one of the 02 store in Nottingham last tuesday, when the 8GB model was already sold out, yet they still had some in stock.

I think that simply represents the online store. But then, I could be wrong. I will have to go past the 02 store in Lincoln today and see if they still have a poster up.

Lincoln isnt that big of a place, I'm pretty sure they'll have stock in.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Cool! Can't wait for the 3G version.

LOL! I guess it takes a while for the Google ads to update... :D:D

Attachments

• o2_image.JPG
    o2_image.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 308
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.