Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 8, 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
bamaworks
macrumors 6502

Does anyone actually use the iPhone on AT&T w/o Data Plan?

I've seen conflicting opinions on the fact that users will get a ridiculous data charge if they don't have a data plan. Would this still occur if EDGE is blocked? On my current phone when I try to access the internet it give me a service unavailable error, does this mean I'm free to unlock an iPhone and just use it as a cell + ipod + wifi device only and not worry about some exorbitant charge at the end of the month? (FYI I'm on AT&T)

Thanks in advance!
Old May 8, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
jdee2wheels
macrumors member

I use an iphone with a regular AT&T plan. I unlocked the iphone and just put in the sim card AT&T gave me when I signed up for the basic plan. Make sure you download bosspref (I think that's what they call it) to block edge completely. I ran up about $35 in usage charges in about 5 minutes when I didn't realize the phone was not on wifi the first month.

Also, AT&T knows I'm using an iphone because it lists the phone I'm using when I log onto my account. I haven't had any trouble not having an iphone plan and because I didn't get a free phone with my basic plan I didn't get locked into a 2 year contract.
jdee2wheels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 09:57 AM   #3
AHDuke99
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
You would get ridiculous charges if you didn't have a data plan or block data. That being said, I can't imagine using an iPhone without the data plan. It would really become almost useless.
AHDuke99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

I've been using my iPhone as a Go Phone for a good while now, and didn't have data for most of that time. As long as you're in a wi-fi area most of the time (like I was, the whole campus of my college is a wi-fi zone, and my house has wi-fi) you should be fine. If you're not in wi-fi most of the time, then it's gonna blow. That's why I decided to get the $20 unlimited data thingy that they just offered for Go Phone customers, while school's off for summer
MultiFinder17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 02:23 PM   #5
bamaworks
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiFinder17 View Post
I've been using my iPhone as a Go Phone for a good while now, and didn't have data for most of that time. As long as you're in a wi-fi area most of the time (like I was, the whole campus of my college is a wi-fi zone, and my house has wi-fi) you should be fine. If you're not in wi-fi most of the time, then it's gonna blow. That's why I decided to get the $20 unlimited data thingy that they just offered for Go Phone customers, while school's off for summer
Yeah, I'm on campus or in my apartment all the time (100% wifi coverage). I know my data, etc are currently blocked so I doubt that will be an issue, I was just checking to see if anyone had any contradictory info to what I've learned.

AHDUKE, I disagree about it being useless. It still would have EVERY feature an iPod Touch has plus an external speaker, cell phone capability, and camera...
Old May 8, 2008, 05:12 PM   #6
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say it is useless, but for me I am always on data whether the internet or email. Couldn't imagine being without while using an iPhone on a daily basis. I use it a lot at work where they lock Wi-Fi for work laptops only, and they block most of the good webpages like Youtube.
Old May 8, 2008, 06:42 PM   #7
skubish
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDuke99 View Post
You would get ridiculous charges if you didn't have a data plan or block data. That being said, I can't imagine using an iPhone without the data plan. It would really become almost useless.
+1

There are so many places you go that don't have wifi I wouldn't want to use an iPhone without the data plan.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
matperk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaworks View Post
Yeah, I'm on campus or in my apartment all the time (100% wifi coverage). I know my data, etc are currently blocked so I doubt that will be an issue, I was just checking to see if anyone had any contradictory info to what I've learned.
I thought I would be the same way, but I ended up using edge a lot more than you think. I use it when I go out to eat, go to movies, stuff like that.
matperk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 02:32 PM   #9
richardhunt
macrumors regular

I use my iphone without a data plan. I had At&t block edge for my account. I have not really had a need for edge data yet, as I'm winthin wifi most of the time. If I lived in another area where wifi coverage was not as prevalent, I would no doubt use edge.
richardhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 05:08 PM   #10
lax15
macrumors newbie

I could not live without the data plan. I almost excluesively live off of edge since wi-fi is blocked for my phone throughout 90% of my day and I can get on a computer for the other 10%. The edge is actually fast enough for me here.
lax15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 05:10 PM   #11
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax15 View Post
I could not live without the data plan. I almost excluesively live off of edge since wi-fi is blocked for my phone throughout 90% of my day and I can get on a computer for the other 10%. The edge is actually fast enough for me here.
Same here. Probably why I'm anxious for 3G.
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone