Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8, 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
bamaworks
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Does anyone actually use the iPhone on AT&T w/o Data Plan?

I've seen conflicting opinions on the fact that users will get a ridiculous data charge if they don't have a data plan. Would this still occur if EDGE is blocked? On my current phone when I try to access the internet it give me a service unavailable error, does this mean I'm free to unlock an iPhone and just use it as a cell + ipod + wifi device only and not worry about some exorbitant charge at the end of the month? (FYI I'm on AT&T)

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Hold still Red, so I can practice my stabbin'!
bamaworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
jdee2wheels
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I use an iphone with a regular AT&T plan. I unlocked the iphone and just put in the sim card AT&T gave me when I signed up for the basic plan. Make sure you download bosspref (I think that's what they call it) to block edge completely. I ran up about $35 in usage charges in about 5 minutes when I didn't realize the phone was not on wifi the first month.

Also, AT&T knows I'm using an iphone because it lists the phone I'm using when I log onto my account. I haven't had any trouble not having an iphone plan and because I didn't get a free phone with my basic plan I didn't get locked into a 2 year contract.
jdee2wheels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 09:57 AM   #3
AHDuke99
macrumors 68000
 
AHDuke99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
You would get ridiculous charges if you didn't have a data plan or block data. That being said, I can't imagine using an iPhone without the data plan. It would really become almost useless.
AHDuke99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816
 
MultiFinder17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
I've been using my iPhone as a Go Phone for a good while now, and didn't have data for most of that time. As long as you're in a wi-fi area most of the time (like I was, the whole campus of my college is a wi-fi zone, and my house has wi-fi) you should be fine. If you're not in wi-fi most of the time, then it's gonna blow. That's why I decided to get the $20 unlimited data thingy that they just offered for Go Phone customers, while school's off for summer
MultiFinder17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 02:23 PM   #5
bamaworks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiFinder17 View Post
I've been using my iPhone as a Go Phone for a good while now, and didn't have data for most of that time. As long as you're in a wi-fi area most of the time (like I was, the whole campus of my college is a wi-fi zone, and my house has wi-fi) you should be fine. If you're not in wi-fi most of the time, then it's gonna blow. That's why I decided to get the $20 unlimited data thingy that they just offered for Go Phone customers, while school's off for summer
Yeah, I'm on campus or in my apartment all the time (100% wifi coverage). I know my data, etc are currently blocked so I doubt that will be an issue, I was just checking to see if anyone had any contradictory info to what I've learned.

AHDUKE, I disagree about it being useless. It still would have EVERY feature an iPod Touch has plus an external speaker, cell phone capability, and camera...
__________________
Hold still Red, so I can practice my stabbin'!
bamaworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 05:12 PM   #6
bacaramac
macrumors 65816
 
bacaramac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I wouldn't say it is useless, but for me I am always on data whether the internet or email. Couldn't imagine being without while using an iPhone on a daily basis. I use it a lot at work where they lock Wi-Fi for work laptops only, and they block most of the good webpages like Youtube.
__________________
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 2TB Time Capsule and AP Express Current Gen AppleTV x 3 iPhone 5s Space Gray 16Gb iPod Touch 4th Gen White iPad mini White/Silver 16GB WiFi
bacaramac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 06:42 PM   #7
skubish
macrumors 68030
 
skubish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDuke99 View Post
You would get ridiculous charges if you didn't have a data plan or block data. That being said, I can't imagine using an iPhone without the data plan. It would really become almost useless.
+1

There are so many places you go that don't have wifi I wouldn't want to use an iPhone without the data plan.
__________________
iPad 3G 32GB
iMac C2D 24"
iPhone 3GS 32GB Black
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
matperk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaworks View Post
Yeah, I'm on campus or in my apartment all the time (100% wifi coverage). I know my data, etc are currently blocked so I doubt that will be an issue, I was just checking to see if anyone had any contradictory info to what I've learned.
I thought I would be the same way, but I ended up using edge a lot more than you think. I use it when I go out to eat, go to movies, stuff like that.
__________________
MacPro 8x2.26/12GB RAM/4TB
11" MBA 1.8/4GB/256GB SSD
8TB DroboPro / Canon 7D
matperk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 02:32 PM   #9
richardhunt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I use my iphone without a data plan. I had At&t block edge for my account. I have not really had a need for edge data yet, as I'm winthin wifi most of the time. If I lived in another area where wifi coverage was not as prevalent, I would no doubt use edge.
richardhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 05:08 PM   #10
lax15
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
I could not live without the data plan. I almost excluesively live off of edge since wi-fi is blocked for my phone throughout 90% of my day and I can get on a computer for the other 10%. The edge is actually fast enough for me here.
lax15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 05:10 PM   #11
Niiro13
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax15 View Post
I could not live without the data plan. I almost excluesively live off of edge since wi-fi is blocked for my phone throughout 90% of my day and I can get on a computer for the other 10%. The edge is actually fast enough for me here.
Same here. Probably why I'm anxious for 3G.
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use jailbroken iphone on at&t w/o data plan? mrman2787 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Jan 23, 2011 11:48 PM
Does anyone actually use the Pass code Lock feature? miamialley iPhone 49 Jun 9, 2010 01:21 PM
Does anyone actually use the "iTunes" app on their phone? helloimD4NNY iPhone 39 Oct 18, 2009 09:21 AM
Does anyone actually use the default Color LCD profile? kabunaru OS X 2 Feb 26, 2009 06:47 PM
iPhone on AT&T with no data plan. hiitzDENNIS iPhone 3 Sep 28, 2007 09:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC