Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
iTunes can rip DVDs just like it rips CDs except it will be way easier than Handbrake and it will automatically download the tags from an internet database of official movie tags and it will also automatically get the DVD-case artwork from iTunes.

Since it's illegal to circumvent the copy-protection system in DVDs right now, that means that legally we're supposed to re-purchase the movie from iTunes in order to get it onto our Apple TV.

I have a feeling Apple is working with the people to allow iTunes to rip DVDs LEGALLY.

I'm not going to re-purchase something I already have just to play it from a hard drive instead of a disc. Discs are so old fashioned to me now... (especially since owning an iPod for years.)

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
I have a feeling Apple is working with the people to allow iTunes to rip DVDs LEGALLY.

I hope you're not using the same gut George W. uses to figure out foreign policy. Just because you "feel" something, doesn't mean there's even a chance it'll happen.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I hope you're not using the same gut George W. uses to figure out foreign policy. Just because you "feel" something, doesn't mean there's even a chance it'll happen.

It's too bad we can't somehow prove that we own the DVD so that Apple iTunes will let us download our digital copy... because then we wouldn't be breaking any copy protection.

And as for renting movies and downloading the copy.. maybe the movie rental places can place a ban on the individual serial numbers on the disc so that people cannot download rented DVDs.

Another idea is... Apple could have a service where you send them your DVD, and they'll enable the download on your account only... the only catch would be... they'd keep your DVD.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
They already started doing something similar, some studios include an iTunes compatible file on the DVD so you can watch it in iTunes too.

There was some news about this a month or so ago, just look for it in the news section.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
^^You mean iTunes Digital Copy:eek:

Yh it would be good, But as said above don't use your 'Gut' like George Walker Bush thats just wrong.;)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
They already started doing something similar, some studios include an iTunes compatible file on the DVD so you can watch it in iTunes too.

There was some news about this a month or so ago, just look for it in the news section.

I know... I have Juno's Digital Copy on my hard drive right now... but, there's only a FEW DVDs with that option. What about all the DVDs that people already purchased without an included Digital Copy? Also, the DVD costs $1.99 extra to get the digital copy version... lame.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
iTunes can rip DVDs just like it rips CDs except it will be way easier than Handbrake and it will automatically download the tags from an internet database of official movie tags and it will also automatically get the DVD-case artwork from iTunes.

Since it's illegal to circumvent the copy-protection system in DVDs right now, that means that legally we're supposed to re-purchase the movie from iTunes in order to get it onto our Apple TV.

I'm not going to re-purchase something I already have just to play it from a hard drive instead of a disc. Discs are so old fashioned to me now... (especially since owning an iPod for years.)

I am in complete agreement with this idea, and it is something that has been on my wish list for a while now. But the other posters are right... it's not going to happen. At least, not any time soon.

For one thing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act would have to be repealed first. The movie studios will never allow that to happen. Secondly the people who run the movie studios will have to get their heads out of their behinds and realize that we are not all criminals. I also don't see that happening until the present crop of studio heads are all replaced.

Regards,
Michael

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just because there is a law, doesn't mean it'll be
- Enforced
- Upheld in court

Most people would agree if you own the DVD, ripping it for your own use would be fair use. So if you go to court, you are not going to be found guilty by your peers if you actually own the DVDs.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Enforcement of the DMCA law against private citizens isn't the point. The point is that because the law exists Apple is prevented from adding DVD ripping to iTunes because that would require the copy protection to be broken and one of the things the DMCA is supposed to prevent is the intentional breaking of copy protection software.

Regards,
Michael

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I know... I have Juno's Digital Copy on my hard drive right now... but, there's only a FEW DVDs with that option. What about all the DVDs that people already purchased without an included Digital Copy? Also, the DVD costs $1.99 extra to get the digital copy version... lame.

Of course you could always get Kaleidescape but it is pretty much out of every price league there is. Still cool. But the price is for all the licenses so maybe that's why Apple isn't including it.

Gnuff

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Norway
Sorry for digging up this thread, but here I go.

It's too bad we can't somehow prove that we own the DVD so that Apple iTunes will let us download our digital copy... because then we wouldn't be breaking any copy protection.

The problem is that you don't actually own the movie, you only own a license to play it from the dvd, with other limitations as well. It's easy thinking that you own the movie, that is sadly not the case. I agree that it would be a nice feature, but I'm just trying to say why it might not happen.

And why would the studios change this license just to loose money? I dont think it will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.