Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider posted a small update today reporting that second generation PowerMac G5s would make an appearance by March 2004. The new machines are reported to have advanced features including 533 DDR II RAM support and up to 1.5GHz bus as well as the incorporation of 90nm G5s and "Power Tune" technology.

As previously reported, IBM will be presenting 90nm PowerPC 970 technology at the ISSCC in Feb 2004. First reference to "PowerTune" was seen in the advance program (PDF) where it is briefly described under "PowerTune: Advanced Frequency and Power Scaling on 64b PowerPC Microprocessor" (Page 59)

PowerTune is a power-management technique for a multi-gigahertz superscalar 64b PowerPC processor in a 90nm technology. This paper discusses the challenges and implementation of a dynamically controlled clock frequency with noise suppression as well as a synchronization circuit for a multi-processor system.

It's not completely clear how these new machines would fit with Appleinsider's previous claim that PowerMacs would see revisions in January 2004.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
As Steve said - very promising roadmap!
This PowerTune feature sounds like one of Apple´s request to be able to cram the G5 in a PowerBook...

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
1.5Ghz Bus

1.5Ghz Bus... Would it be safe to say these are going to be 3Ghz Chips then?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Actually, the article just says the system controller will suppoprt up to 1.5GHz. Which would seem to put the post-3.0GHz machines will need a revamped controller ...

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: 3 gog hz sooer?

Originally posted by DrGruv1
or still summer wait?

If the NEXT revision brings the G5 to 3 GHz in March, IBM would be faster designing than they can produce the CPUs ;)
And Steve would have toned down his bragging "within 12 months" for nothing.

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
This is VERY promising, and VERY realistic.

I am so overjoyed at the thought that Intel is slowing down, and Apple is speeding up.

The G5 truly marks a turning point in the future of Apple Hardware. People will be speaking of this for years to come.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Wow, 1.5 Ghz bus. and I think 2:1 is the largest bus multiplier. i don't think there is a 1.5:1 multiplier. I know there are 3:1, 4:1 and so one. But 1.5 would definetly imply 3 Ghz.

Hmmmmm......

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Re: Re: typing to damn fast...

Originally posted by Wombatronic
I think that fast typing does not explain this. I suspect, rather, that DrGruv is completely insane :)

hilarious

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Good News indeed

Originally posted by areyouwishing
This is VERY promising, and VERY realistic.

I am so overjoyed at the thought that Intel is slowing down, and Apple is speeding up.

The G5 truly marks a turning point in the future of Apple Hardware. People will be speaking of this for years to come.

Wouldn't it be neat if all of a sudden Apple had faster clocked chipsets than Intel. My my that would be a nice turning of tables.
:) :D

neverfade

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2003
Mpls, MN
My Dual 2

Yeah, I got a dual 2, and even though I always want the biggest and newest - Man, my dual 2 is SWEET, and I am very content with it and expect to be content with it for years to come...

... by no means do I need the newest now that I have my Dual 2. Great machine.

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
for those that bought 2x2GHz machines, don't worry, I will buy them off you. I'm hoping to get 1100 of them :p

the current machines are arguably faster then the current production pcs... Hopefully by march there will be no doubt!!

Hopefully by march I will be rich enough again :)

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
I have a Dual 2GHz, but I'm not upgrading for a few years. I'm just happy that apple is getting better and better, no matter how 'slow' my G5 becomes compared to their top of the line machine. GREAT NEWS!!!!!! Bring em' on!

--Waluigi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.