Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emerica9283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
so cal
I have an intel mac mini. I bought it last year. monday I turned it on and installed updates. During the updates the fan started going loudly and will not stop. Even after I shut it down it wont stop. I have to disconnect the power chord and then it stops. But once I connect it back it starts again. What do i do? :confused:

sfroom

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Boot the computer while holding down command+option+p+r. Hold for about 30 seconds, until you hear the boot chime 2-3 times.

emerica9283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
so cal
Boot the computer while holding down command+option+p+r. Hold for about 30 seconds, until you hear the boot chime 2-3 times.

I tried and let it chime 3 times but the fan still goes :(.

look at the temperatures the mini is reporting by using istat
http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7

Chances are that one sensor is faulty and is reporting some extremely large number like 250C

In that case the sensor needs to be replaced

I downloaded it and the temps are all in the 30s.

If this doesn't fix it, run the diagnostics program that comes on the restore discs. This will help to identify any hardware problems.

I will try this next.

RealaT

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I had a similar problem my my Mac Mini where the fans would spin high after very little activity, i've pretty much solved it with 2 things.

1) Replaced the 2x1GB ram sticks with a single 2GB stick which reduced the fan activity by quite a bit, but not totally (don't think this would help your problem though)

2) Installed the latest beta version of FanControl and adjusted the settings so that the fan speed is as low aspossible and the threshold temperatures are as high as possible. I had tried this in the past but the latest beta seems very aggresive in controlling the fan. I can still hear it start to spin up, but after about 3-4 seconds FanControl kicks in and slows it back down to default.

emerica9283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
so cal
I had a similar problem my my Mac Mini where the fans would spin high after very little activity, i've pretty much solved it with 2 things.

1) Replaced the 2x1GB ram sticks with a single 2GB stick which reduced the fan activity by quite a bit, but not totally (don't think this would help your problem though)

2) Installed the latest beta version of FanControl and adjusted the settings so that the fan speed is as low aspossible and the threshold temperatures are as high as possible. I had tried this in the past but the latest beta seems very aggresive in controlling the fan. I can still hear it start to spin up, but after about 3-4 seconds FanControl kicks in and slows it back down to default.

I tried fan control and it dosn't slow it down at all :confused: I guess i'll just have to make the drive out to an apple store and take it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.