Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlkdswy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Hey everyone, I might be asking for something that already been discussed on here but I can't find it. I need to find a program preferably free. I need to convert itunes m4v files to non-drm mp4 files. Please help.

wlkdswy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Converting m4v video file to mp4

Will this work for video files as well? I'm sorry I should have included that in the original questions?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Will this work for video files as well? I'm sorry I should have included that in the original questions?

It doesn't work to my knowledge. There is not any software that I am aware of that can burn the .m4v to a DVD and therefore you can't re-rip it to .mp4. I haven't done an exhaustive search, but I looked into this a while ago as a way to play iTunes TV Shows on my TV.

ajay94

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
it isnt free but quicktime pro is really helpful is you need to convert lots of files like that all you have to do is click export to mp4 and your done!
it costs $30 i think
and it would help to get perian (http://www.perian.org) if you use quicktime pro (its free)

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
.m4v & .mp4 are the same but .m4v is found in iTunes alot more, so my guess is this is a try to break the DRM well it won't work mate.

If it isn't to try and break the DRM passthrough in QT Pro and your done

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hey everyone, I might be asking for something that already been discussed on here but I can't find it. I need to find a program preferably free. I need to convert itunes m4v files to non-drm mp4 files. Please help.

Nope. As far as I know, there isn't a way (yet) to remove the DRM from video downloaded from iTunes. And burning iTunes video to DVD isn't supported.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
You can't remove the DRM, No one has succeeded yet. But I'll try anyway I have the time LoL

And burning iTunes video to DVD isn't supported.

And yes it is but only as a Data Disc

Edit: Tried with VisualHub no it didn't work, It encoded but the video was grey and you couldn't hear anything:(

agurlnamedgoo

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure if this is something anyone has tried but I'm actually trying it now.
I have the offending .m4v file saved to my desktop. I'm using HandBrake, where I selected the file as my source, and am "ripping" it onto my computer (from a pre-existing file already on the harddrive) as a .mp4. I'm not sure it'll work... if not, I'm going to have to re-rip the movie the right way.

agurlnamedgoo

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
IT WORKED!!!
Using HandBrake (which is free, but does require VLC player - which is also free - to rip any DVDs) to rip the movie from the pre-existing .m4v file and create a .mp4 file WORKED! It plays in iTunes!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
One silly trick:

Just rename the file.

Really.

Just rename it from .M4V to .MP4

It's possible that your application just doesn't recognize the .M4V extension.

redshoz999

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
IT WORKED!!!
Using HandBrake (which is free, but does require VLC player - which is also free - to rip any DVDs) to rip the movie from the pre-existing .m4v file and create a .mp4 file WORKED! It plays in iTunes!

Can you please explain your process more clearly? I can't get Handbrake to open my m4v file. I'd appreciate your help.

yorke6

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
IT WORKED!!!

cheers - i've just tested it out and it works like a charm.
Thanks for the tip.

daveyf

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
still a no go for DRM

Tried this a while ago for DRM material and it still comes up with the message "No Valid Source Found" - does work for non-DRM .m4v though. :mad:

There is a program called 4Media Video Converter that isn't free that is supposed to be able to do the trick. I am still looking for a free one myself.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2004
Someone sent me a m4v that I'm trying to convert using Any DVD Converter Pro. By changing m4v to mp4, it will recognize it. But after the conversion, the audio is about a second off from the video.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
does anyone know how to do this the other way around? Convert mp4 to m4v so I can put it on my iPad. I have 1280x543 mP4 movie that plays in iTunes but after reading the iPad page it doesn't support mP4 files with that high resolution. So tried using handbrake to convert it, but the audio doesn't survive the process (as in it, the audio is no more). Tried renaming the extension, but iTunes "more info" still says file type is mpeg-4 and will not sync with iPad. Any suggestions?

williadms

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Handbrake

When you open Handbrake select the movie as you would to rip a DVD.
...Love that this works! Friggin itunes DRM :mad: I should be able to play the movies I purchased on any player I want! Thanx for the help!
P.S. VLC helps with lots of viewing.

williadms

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
spoke too soon. I can get it to open my files, but shortly after I click start I get the spinny rainbow ball of death. Any suggestions agurlnamedgoo??
I've tried several different files...same deal.

[UPDATE]:
Some work some don't. But the ones that did definitely began as itunes files and would not play on VLC until after Handbrake job ...good luck!

Last edited:

somebuddy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Don't Buy Videos from iTUNES!

spoke too soon. I can get it to open my files, but shortly after I click start I get the spinny rainbow ball of death. Any suggestions agurlnamedgoo??
I've tried several different files...same deal.

Same problem with Handbrake. I get the wheel of death whenever I try to convert my LEGALLY PURCHASED m4v videos to mp4 to play on my Roku. But when I convert any other m4v's, I dont have any trouble at all.

I even paid for m4vConverterPlus as recommended on this page. It doesn't work with m4v's purchased from iTunes. Useless and a waste of $$.

So what have we learned?
DON'T BUY VIDEOS FROM ITUNES!

jorban5483

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
I am kinda having the same problem..

I currently purchased MobileMe and am still learning about it. I cannot figure out how to put things such as my movies that i have on my macbook (not through) itunes into the "cloud" please someone help. its saying everytime they are too large. and i only try 1 movie and have nothing else there because i just purchased it...:apple::)

livvy614

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Novato, CA
Handbreak worked for me as well! Thanks! I've been looking for a good little free program like this for some time now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.