Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:00 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple strikes back at employee's shareware app.

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Apple strikes back at employee's shareware app.

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:20 AM   #2
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Damn! As soon as I find out about this thing, it's yanked? Anyone know of an existing download site?

I hate going to Netflix.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:19 AM   #3
D0ct0rteeth
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via MSN to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Yahoo to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Skype™ to D0ct0rteeth
I hope it ends up in sherlock

- Doc
D0ct0rteeth is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:30 AM   #4
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Sherlock appears to be more of a 'searching' app, versus a 'maintaining' app.

But, i guess a sherlock channel can be made by anyone.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:33 AM   #5
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
I feel badly for this guy... It does look like a sherlock channel...
pgwalsh is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:49 AM   #6
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

When I worked at Boeing, any 'idea' in the aviation industry that I came up with belonged to Boeing, even if I thought it up off-hours.

That's just the nature of big business. If you're employed by a company, that may lead you to think up a great new idea that, if developed outside the company, could ultimately hurt the company (new competition?)

So, I'm not surprised at all that Apple made this guy, who's being paid by Apple, stop "moonlighting". I doubt a Netflix tool would hurt apple in any way, but the Legal department is unlikely to bend or make any exceptions.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:55 AM   #7
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
Quote:
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
When I worked at Boeing, any 'idea' in the aviation industry that I came up with belonged to Boeing, even if I thought it up off-hours.

That's just the nature of big business. If you're employed by a company, that may lead you to think up a great new idea that, if developed outside the company, could ultimately hurt the company (new competition?)

So, I'm not surprised at all that Apple made this guy, who's being paid by Apple, stop "moonlighting". I doubt a Netflix tool would hurt apple in any way, but the Legal department is unlikely to bend or make any exceptions.
I would quit right now if i was him lol, nah, he probably needs the money
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:19 PM   #8
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

..and working for apple is probably better than writing a netflix thing for a living
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:24 PM   #9
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
that's just stupid! of course we don't all the exact details, but if he created this thing on his own time and with out any apple resources it should be his. if apple wants it, they should pay for it.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:39 PM   #10
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
Quote:
Originally posted by mrsebastian
that's just stupid! of course we don't all the exact details, but if he created this thing on his own time and with out any apple resources it should be his. if apple wants it, they should pay for it.
Thats what I think as well, but that's not the reality of the corporate world anymore
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:44 PM   #11
Doctor Q
Administrator

This problem has always been faced by employers and employees, especially at universities, which often deal with the issue in employment contracts. I made a deal with my employer so that I retain rights to use a copy of some of the library code I've written (although not the existing products that use the libraries). I sought this out because I really like using some of the utility routines I've written over the years (e.g., for text manipulation and pattern matching) and I'd like to be able to use them in my own future projects without having to rewrite them from scratch. That's no risk to my employer, but I don't think I would have had that right without making an explicit agreement.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 02:06 PM   #12
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

That's exactly right!

In this Apple case, there may be some code that the kid developed for Apple at Apple that Apple owns. Anybody know what his Apple job actually is?

If you own a cheeseburger factory, and one of your guys invented Bacon, you wouldn't want them running around selling Bacon to everyone.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:04 PM   #13
Doctor Q
Administrator

Even when you end your employment, you may be prohibited by your employment contract from working for a competing business (or starting your own) for a certain period of time, e.g., 1 year. This prevents you from accumulating knowledge, leaving your job, and then immediately using the knowledge to compete with your former employer. Perhaps more importantly, it discourages your employers' competitors from trying to hire you just to get that knowledge from you.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion