Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedipastor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Hi, first time post.

I want to rip the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition discs, but as you may know each movie is split on two discs. I've been using handbrake on the ATV preset to rip discs just fine, but is it possible for me to rip these two discs and then join the files together so they appear as one in ATV/itunes?

I appreciate your help.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

you can actually do it with QuickTime pro too.

medavecool

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
My approach

First of all, let me suggest to you that ripping movies for AppleTV is a marathon and not a sprint. When I first embraced my ATV around the time Take 2 came out, I was going nuts trying to rip and plan as much as possible around the multiple computers we have in the house. It takes handbrake a while to compress and if you're not patient, you can go insane. I don't know how much time has passed since Take 2 was announced, but I'm close to 400 movies now and that's not including a bunch of tv shows I've ripped.

My first suggest (something I've opposed in the past) is to rip the feature off the dvd using mactheripper or whatever they use on a pc. Most discs rip fine but if it's a New Line movie release in the last year or so, forget MTR. God only knows what New Line does but MTR3 will most certainly crash.

Anyway, using MTR is kind of an extra step but it reduces the wear and tear on your dvd drive because MTR doesn't compress the movie. Instead it just copies data to your hard drive which takes significantly less time. Also, taking this step allows you have multiple movies to convert in a queue instead of converting one movie at a time. I find taking this first step immensely convenient.

Next (and more relevant to your question), I use Handbrake to convert my movies to ATV. Handbrake has a ATV setting but I amend it. After I select their preset, I turn on 2 pass encoding along with turbo first pass. Second, I go into picture settings and turn deinterlace on slow.

When I first started ripping for the ATV, I never turned on deinterlace and would get images with jagged aliasing, especially when there was fast movement. I put deinterlacing on slow and most of the jaggedness seemed to go away. After that, I came to realize that when there was a lot of camera movement, the image sometimes looked like it was slightly skipping. On a whim, I turned deinterlacing on slow and the image skipping has gone away.

The only issues I have know are when I'm ripping thing that are 4x3 instead of 16x9 and it drives me nuts because it's not consistent. I've ripped tv shows like MASH and The Simpsons without trouble, but sometimes when I rip old movies or stand up shows, I get that skipiness back when there are fast camera movements.

Best of Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.