Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magnusnorth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
...two days ago!

Hi, Guys/Gals - I'm a complete networking illiterate, so please bear with me.

At the beginning of the year I moved into a flat with three other Windows laptops and we could all play LAN games (Specifically Warcraft III) together and I could access their music via iTunes etc.

Randomly - and I mean randomly because I haven't touched any settings - they were unable to see my hosted games and I wasn't able to even see their computers. It just wasn't working. But, I am still able to connect to the wireless internet (the one we all share).

I believe this to be something wrong with my Macbook because I was up at my University two days ago, and the wireless network that they offer (and I regularly use) kept on "failing" when I tried to connect to it.

I am literally stumped, guys, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't see how I can't connect with them if I'm still able to connect with our shared internet. Also, is the failure of connection with the University wireless network related?

I did a search and couldn't find a thread specific to my problem. However, I know how frustrating it is to have newbies repeatedly create new threads that are all ready in existence. So, if this comes to be, could someone link me to the thread. If not, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks all around,

Magnus

NetworkMeUp

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
To connect to your Windows PCs or file servers, simply go the OS X Finder and then select Go --> Connect to Server (Command-K). In the dialog box that appears, you can type the IP address or host name of the server you're connecting to and then click the Connect button. Alternatively, click the Browse button in the dialog box to search your local network for available servers and shares.
For earlier versions of Mac operating systems, you need to buy software to allow you to include your Mac. You can buy software for the PCs or software for the Macintosh. (You don't need it for both.) Check with magazines and books that are devoted to Macintosh users to find out about software for incorporating your older Macintosh into your network. Two of those programs are described next.

If you have trouble getting your Macintosh up and running on your Windows-based wireless network, it almost certainly relates to the network password. Here are a few troubleshooting tips to resolve password issues:

Try turning off encryption on the wireless network. If you can successfully connect your Mac to the network without the need of a password, you can be sure that the password was the problem. Don't leave the network unprotected, however. Read on.

Check the password configuration. When you turn on the access point's encryption, determine whether the password is an alphanumeric value or a hexadecimal number. Some hardware vendors provide configuration software that has you enter a pass phrase, but the software then generates a hexadecimal number. If you're using AirPort networking software on your Mac, you have to enter the hexadecimal number, not the pass phrase.

Watch for case-sensitivity. If the Windows-based access point configuration software enables you to enter an alphanumeric password, keep in mind that the password is case sensitive. For WEP, the password should be either exactly 5 characters (letters and numbers) for 64-bit encryption or 13 characters for 128-bit encryption. You should then enter exactly the same characters in the Password text box in the AirPort pane of Internet Connect.

Use current software. Make sure that you're using the most current version of AirPort software. The most up-to-date software makes it easier to enter passwords connecting to a Windows-based wireless network. The new software automatically distinguishes between alphanumeric and hexadecimal passwords. With earlier versions of the software, to connect to a WEP-encrypted Windows-based network, you have to type quotation marks around alphanumeric values and type a $ in front of hexadecimal numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.