Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndySutton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the spec for editing 4k footage from the Red camera. With their new smaller camera coming in 2009 - I certainly plan to get it especially if it comes in at the RRP of $1700. Amazing.

A problem with the camera is it generates footage massive in comparison to HDV. The fact that the company are an offshoot of Oakley - the company behind the sunglasses.

I cant seem to find anywhere on the web which tells the spec of the edit machine required to cut 2k, 3k or IMax standard 4k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HCtdTWQAxc

Andy.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
The fact that the company are an offshoot of Oakley - the company behind the sunglasses.

RED aren't an offshoot of Oakley. The only connection is that they share the same founder.

...and yeah, I don't think the RED SCARLET is going to be under $5,000 - despite Engadget saying it'd be around $3,000.

From the RED website:

Recommended configurations for Final Cut Pro 6.0.3
Configuration #1: Intel MacPro or MacBookPro, Leopard (OS 10.5.2) with QuickTime 7.4.5
#2: Intel MacPro or MacBookPro, Tiger (OS 10.4.11) with QuickTime 7.4.5
* users with NVIDIA 7300 GT should update to Leopard
Minimum RAM for all configs: 1 GB
Suggested RAM for Kona3 configs on Leopard: 2 GB*
* If experiencing performance issues. If not, AJA recommends 4 GB
RED recommends all users on Tiger or Leopard upgrade to QuickTime 7.4.5
Note:
There have been stability issues working with Red Footage using QuickTime 7.4 and Quicktime 7.4.1 on Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger)

There are reports that QuickTime 7.4 is causing stability issues with both RED ALERT! and Final Cut Pro when working with RED footage. RED recommends that users on Tiger (10.4.11) remain on QuickTime 7.3.1 and do not install QuickTime 7.4 .

If you are working with RED ALERT! and Final Cut Pro under Leopard (OS 10.5.2) RED recommends that users run QuickTime 7.4.1

They don't mention the iMacs, but the new ones (2.6Ghz and above) are perfectly capable of playing with current RED footage - with maxed out RAM, of course.

I wouldn't entertain editing 4k RED footage with less than 4Gb RAM, or a 2.6Ghz processor.

One of my clients has a current RED ONE, and it edits nicely in FCS on a new 2.6Ghz 17" MacBook Pro w/ 4Gb RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.