Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old May 10, 2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Ben1l
macrumors regular

How to Change Time Capsule Settings?

I recently bough a Time Capsule and was advised in the Apple Store, that when backing up my Mackbook Pro for the first time I should connect it via ethernet rather than via Airport to speed up the initial backup.

This all worked fine, the only problem is now it does not back up automatically via wireless. I have to force it to by clicking " Back up Now"

Under Time Machine preference it says "Next Backup- When Mac is Plugged In"

I just want to get the Macbook to do it hourly backups wirelessly and not force it.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Ben1l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 09:49 AM   #2
jlewis2k1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jlewis2k1 Send a message via MSN to jlewis2k1 Send a message via Yahoo to jlewis2k1
I was wondering the same thing but I have a usb drive instead of a network drive.
Current iTunes Status (updates every minute)
jlewis2k1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
PcBgone
Banned

Time machine wont back up unless your laptop is plugged into a power supply. It is a power saving feature..
PcBgone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Dino1956
macrumors member

Where do you go to change your TC settings ? I find nothing but the Conclusion page in Airport Utility. Do you have to reconfigure & start from the beginning ? I would like to see what my settings are. I chose Auto setup when I first installed but now I'd like to see what settings I selected. eg. N, B&G, etc...
Dino1956 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:18 PM   #5
skorpien
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1956 View Post
Where do you go to change your TC settings ? I find nothing but the Conclusion page in Airport Utility. Do you have to reconfigure & start from the beginning ? I would like to see what my settings are. I chose Auto setup when I first installed but now I'd like to see what settings I selected. eg. N, B&G, etc...
Select your Time Capsule in the left column, then go into Manual Setup
skorpien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:10 PM   #6
rkdiddy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBgone View Post
Time machine wont back up unless your laptop is plugged into a power supply. It is a power saving feature..
That is not true - there is an option you can select as to whether it backs up on battery or not.

I have mine back-up either way, since 95% of the time I use my MBP on my lap in front of the TV not plugged in.

advertising : design : marketing : print : social media : web - www.risencreative.com
rkdiddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:14 PM   #7
redwarrior
macrumors 603

Time Machine Editor will allow more backup schedule flexibility, too, if you need it.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Dino1956
macrumors member

Thanks! But will I have to change my connection if I do that or can I just look around to see what & how I have it set ? I don't want to reset the TC & lose any of my current settings. Since Airport Utility is in wizard form, it looks like that may happen, Sorry for sounding so paranoid. And thank you for the help.
Dino1956 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:02 AM   #9
AppleThis&That
macrumors regular

I just got a 320GB WD My Passport for a gift at work and want to use it as a backup drive for Time Machine. Although, with the limited space I'd like to only backup my work folder and that's it.

I played with the preferences and it looks like you can turn off particular folders, etc. but wasn't sure what Time Machine backs up by default. Is it everything on the computer or just my users folder or what? And does turning off particular folders effect the Time Machine functionality? Does anyone know the particulars to this?

Last edited by AppleThis&That; Jun 27, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
AppleThis&That is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals