Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I recently bough a Time Capsule and was advised in the Apple Store, that when backing up my Mackbook Pro for the first time I should connect it via ethernet rather than via Airport to speed up the initial backup.

This all worked fine, the only problem is now it does not back up automatically via wireless. I have to force it to by clicking " Back up Now"

Under Time Machine preference it says "Next Backup- When Mac is Plugged In"

I just want to get the Macbook to do it hourly backups wirelessly and not force it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Time machine wont back up unless your laptop is plugged into a power supply. It is a power saving feature..

Dino1956

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Where do you go to change your TC settings ? I find nothing but the Conclusion page in Airport Utility. Do you have to reconfigure & start from the beginning ? I would like to see what my settings are. I chose Auto setup when I first installed but now I'd like to see what settings I selected. eg. N, B&G, etc...

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Where do you go to change your TC settings ? I find nothing but the Conclusion page in Airport Utility. Do you have to reconfigure & start from the beginning ? I would like to see what my settings are. I chose Auto setup when I first installed but now I'd like to see what settings I selected. eg. N, B&G, etc...

Select your Time Capsule in the left column, then go into Manual Setup

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Time machine wont back up unless your laptop is plugged into a power supply. It is a power saving feature..

That is not true - there is an option you can select as to whether it backs up on battery or not.

I have mine back-up either way, since 95% of the time I use my MBP on my lap in front of the TV not plugged in.:apple:

Dino1956

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks! But will I have to change my connection if I do that or can I just look around to see what & how I have it set ? I don't want to reset the TC & lose any of my current settings. Since Airport Utility is in wizard form, it looks like that may happen, Sorry for sounding so paranoid. And thank you for the help.

AppleThis&That

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
wd%20My%20passport%20for%20mac%20and%20My%20Book%20mac%20edition%2002.jpg

I just got a 320GB WD My Passport for a gift at work and want to use it as a backup drive for Time Machine. Although, with the limited space I'd like to only backup my work folder and that's it.

I played with the preferences and it looks like you can turn off particular folders, etc. but wasn't sure what Time Machine backs up by default. Is it everything on the computer or just my users folder or what? And does turning off particular folders effect the Time Machine functionality? Does anyone know the particulars to this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.