Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Per my username I am iLost with this new ibook I was given. I have never used a Mac in my life. I am planning on using this iBook specificly for photography purposes.

I just started getting into photography and heard Macs are great for media use. My problem is when I tried to load the software from my Cannon 40D from the cd onto the iBook the files appear but they are not loading,

So I thought I would come to where the smart people dwell and ask for some help. I apologise for being so Mac incompetent, but could anyone help me with this (so simple to you guys problem)? Thanks!

iLost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
All different types really. I am trying to load the CD's that come with the camera on to the iBook

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Is the Cannon software the Mac version? Also what operating system are you using(i.e. 10.2* 10.3* 10.4* or 10.5*? If you can tell us the specs of the machine, that won't hurt too.

But sounds like you are trying to load Windoze software on the mac.

iLost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
By the way thank you Sky blue for the response. When I input the Cannon CD 3 files come up: HTML, Install Files and Masterinstaller. app.

If I open the install files folder the Cannon information folders are there , about 8 in total but no exe. type files

When I open the masterinstaller file I get a contents file when I open that I have 4 more file: info.plist, MacOS, Pkginfo, and Resources.

When I open the MacOS file I get a Masterinstaller file again and when I click that I recieve a message that says it could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found.

that happens alot when I am trying to move through and find out how to install this S/W.

iLost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Is the Cannon software the Mac version? Also what operating system are you using(i.e. 10.2* 10.3* 10.4* or 10.5*? If you can tell us the specs of the machine, that won't hurt too.

But sounds like you are trying to load Windoze software on the mac.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. However the cd does say for windows and for Mac on it.

As for the operating system I am not completely clear about either(sorry) I do know this iBook is from 2001 or at least the management system is. it says RMSMain Menu 2001. But if you tell me where to look I can get that information for you.The book that came with it just says iBook it does have 45 GB HD if that helps

iLost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
If you go to the Apple menu (in the top left corner) and go to "About this computer", you will get the info you need.

Thank you! this must be a very old ibook "About this computer" is not there. But there is a System Profiler.

System is 9.0.4
Active enabler: Mac OS ROM 5.3.1
Machine ID - 406
Model Name- iBook
Machine speed 466Mhz (OMG)

Thank you! this must be a very old ibook "About this computer" is not there. But there is a System Profiler.

System is 9.0.4
Machine ID - 406
Model Name- iBook

Very old indeed. You are still running system 9. I am not sure how well your machine will run OSX ( others may know better than I). What sort of Photography were you planning on? I suspect this iBook may not be the machine for you to use. Again, others may be better able to answer that question than I. The software you are trying to instal is most likely for OSX which is why you are having trouble. Sorry I can not be much more help.

iLost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Very old indeed. You are still running system 9. I am not sure how well your machine will run OSX ( others may know better than I). What sort of Photography were you planning on? I suspect this iBook may not be the machine for you to use. Again, others may be better able to answer that question than I. The software you are trying to instal is most likely for OSX which is why you are having trouble. Sorry I can not be much more help.

Thank you very much for just taking the time to help me in this. I believe you are right. I will just install the S/W onto my PC, this is way to much of a headache. I will have to give Mac another go round after I can afford to get a new Macbook.

As far as the Photography real new to that as well but portraits, cars, B/W and maybe down the road weddings.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out though. and if your ever in Reno and and want a portrait or family picture taken its on me ....LOL thanks!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

System is 9.0.4
Machine ID - 406
Model Name- iBook

That would mean you have a Clamshell SE Ibook either Lime or Graphite in color with firewire so you are capable of installing OS-X up to Tiger 10.4 operating system but you will need to max out the ram for it to run decently.

I don't think you will be able to do much with photos on that model and since you're running OS9, the software you are trying to install is probably for OS-X 10. So sorry. But hey, that's a good model that some people still pay good money for. I say sell it and use that money to buy a PowerMac G4 tower or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.