Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericpd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Hi all! Just purchased a used G3 ibook and I have two questions. I spent a good deal of my Saturday searching, but with very little to no luck.

First,... the ibook came with no wireless capability. So I purchased an Airport Exterme card. Found a tutorial on how to install, and followed those instructions faithfully. However, with the card installed, the ibook failed to startup. When removed, it started with no problems.Thinking the card was bad, I asked a friend to try it in his ibook. Worked flawlessly! I'd like to know if others have experienced this and if there's something I should be watching out for before I pronounce the ibook as faulty

Second,... the previous owner is listed as the Administrator with a password attached. This password is not connected to any encryption nor does it prevents me from using and starting the ibook. However, when I tried using the software update function, it asked for the previous owner's password. Is there a way to remove this person as administrator without lossing data (applications)?

Thanks

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
For the Airport problem: They have been know where the connection will disconnect from the motherboard and thus it won't work anymore. Try to see if you are pushing it in all the way or if there is something inside the slot obstructing it. There is just enough play to kinda of wiggle it around to so try and give it a good connection.

For the Admin password: Go to system prefs and then to Users. (Hopefully it's not locked and that you will not have to enter the admin password) Create a new account for yourself and give yourself admin rights. If there are programs or files that you need on the other users account. Just drag and drop them into the shared folder in the main directory where it says Users. You can delete the old account.

But actually your best bet would be to locate some restore cds and do a fresh install.

ericpd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
For the Airport problem: They have been know where the connection will disconnect from the motherboard and thus it won't work anymore. Try to see if you are pushing it in all the way or if there is something inside the slot obstructing it. There is just enough play to kinda of wiggle it around to so try and give it a good connection.

For the Admin password: Go to system prefs and then to Users. (Hopefully it's not locked and that you will not have to enter the admin password) Create a new account for yourself and give yourself admin rights. If there are programs or files that you need on the other users account. Just drag and drop them into the shared folder in the main directory where it says Users. You can delete the old account.

But actually your best bet would be to locate some restore cds and do a fresh install.

Thanks for the response. I found the cause of my Airport problems,... G3 ibooks won't run on Airport Extreme. They need the original non-extreme version of Airport. I'm trying to track one of those down now.

As far as the the Admin thing goes,... I have all the CDs the ibook came with, the problem is that Tiger is on it now, but the CDs are Panther. I understand Tiger is better than Panther, so I would like to try and resolve this problem in such a way where I could keep the OS upgrade she put on there. Just about ready to try your suggestion now.

Two days with this thing and I'm liking it way better than Vista already. Again,.. thanks for the response!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.