Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old May 11, 2008, 09:29 AM   #1
hgiordanelli
macrumors newbie

How to change IP Address to reflect US IP

When I am traveling overseas I need to connect to Sites that require an US IP address. How can I handle this? Is there a free solution to this?
Thanks
hgiordanelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 09:34 AM   #2
karenflower
macrumors 6502a

You can connect via a proxy that is based in the US. There's a list here with lots of them: http://www.freeproxy.ca/Filter~225~~.html
karenflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
wiseguy27
macrumors 6502

You can try Hot Spot Shield (hotspotshield.com). Make sure you're not violating the terms of service of Hot Spot Shield or of the website you want to visit outside the US.
wiseguy27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Macerizer
macrumors newbie

Changing to a U.S. based IP address..

The only way to do this is through a proxy server which routes your Internet traffic through a server in the location of your choice (e.g. United States).

Although free proxies exist, they are nearly impossible to find, especially if you want to get ssl connections. The options are:

1) Rent your own server in the U.S. and set it up as a proxy server.

2) Use a private proxy service, such as http://www.iprivacytools.com -- there are others, but I've used them and know that they have U.S. based connections.

For anyone reading this that wants to change their IP but not necessarily to another country, check out http://change-my-ip-address.blogspot.com/

Happy surfing!
Macerizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:09 AM   #5
mjsmke
macrumors 6502a

www.hidemyass.com

Thousands of free proxies.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:33 AM   #6
walshlink
macrumors regular

You need to use a VPN...two that I have used are:

www.bananavpn.com

www.publicvpn.com
Old May 2, 2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Nathaniell
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmke View Post
Sure they're free, but don't you think it's kind of a security risk? I think a US VPN server will provide the US IP + security as they say at http://www.getausipaddress.com/
Old May 2, 2012, 01:51 AM   #8
badman89
macrumors regular

I don't think you should rely on any service that claims to be "free" because frankly, they all suck. This is the best advise I can give you. Trust me, I've been through this whole process (my aim was to watch Netflix from outside the US).

Coming to paid services, your best bet is to pay for a VPN service (these will cost anywhere between $5 and $15 per month but many will even give you a free trial for one month). I suggest you go to this site where you can read reviews of various VPN providers and pick which one is best for you.
badman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:10 AM   #9
arjen92
macrumors 65816

Tunnelbear is a free VPN. It has a limit of 500 mb for each account you have. It works flawlessly. There's not setting up. Just download the app to your mac. Login with an account and turn the switch to VS and the other one on "on".

If you want more that 500 mb, you can ask them on twitter or just make another account.
arjen92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:18 PM   #10
allenss
macrumors newbie

Get US VPN

You need to use a US VPN service that will give you US IP address .
http://www.vpnground.com/blog/usa-vpn/
allenss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:43 PM   #11
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Try this app on the Mac App Store - it browses from the US wherever you are: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/anony...17575221?mt=12
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:27 PM   #12
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

I agree that the "free" solutions aren't great and are possibly risky.

I use IVPN.net and have set up a few clients with it.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13
fishboy99
macrumors newbie

Excellent easy advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjen92 View Post
tunnelbear is a free vpn. It has a limit of 500 mb for each account you have. It works flawlessly. There's not setting up. Just download the app to your mac. Login with an account and turn the switch to vs and the other one on "on".

If you want more that 500 mb, you can ask them on twitter or just make another account.
this works and is easy. Everyone who doesn't have an answer - shut up!
If you hit your free quota you can also use: Hotspotshield...
fishboy99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:34 AM   #14
fishboy99
macrumors newbie

These aren't free so why did you answer?

mjsmke
macrumors 6502

www.hidemyass.com

walshlink
macrumors regular

You need to use a VPN...two that I have used are:

www.bananavpn.com

www.publicvpn.com

Last edited by fishboy99; Oct 20, 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: mistake!
fishboy99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:38 AM   #15
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

While people have listed a number of free proxies, they're generally very slow as lots of people use them and most of them use them to download illegal content making speeds crawl. I know you want a free option but you'll do best to spend a couple bucks on a paid proxy service where you'll get good speed and added security too.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:28 AM   #16
fatima101
macrumors newbie

IP conflict

Hi there! Free IPs are not as such long lasting and the problems create while using them. Same happened to me and then my brother guided me for proxy rental. I was not agreed at first attempt because it is rather costly but to get something, you have to lose something. Check it once and solve your problems permanently.
fatima101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:54 AM   #17
dbender
macrumors newbie

What about setting up your own VPN server stateside, and connecting to it, rather than a commercial service, from overseas? I don't know much about VPN, but it seems like you could share your stateside IP address from your ISP to the remote location that way. And a home router running DD-WRT or Tomato should be able to provide that service through its OpenVPN server capability?

Duane
dbender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:12 AM   #18
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: home VPN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbender View Post
What about setting up your own VPN server stateside, and connecting to it, rather than a commercial service, from overseas? I don't know much about VPN, but it seems like you could share your stateside IP address from your ISP to the remote location that way. And a home router running DD-WRT or Tomato should be able to provide that service through its OpenVPN server capability?

Duane
Thanks Duane for suggesting this.

While there are many commercial free and paid VPN services available, as others have pointed out, some of these do have drawbacks.

Running your own VPN server is an alternative that works well, as long as the hotel where you are staying allows VPN out and your ISP allows VPN in ... most do -- although I did stay once at a hotel that didn't allow VPN out which caused many business people attending the conference headaches until this was solved. Not only that, but if you use no-ip.com (or dyn.com or any other the other Dynamic DNS services) to obtain an Internet FQDN, then you won't even have to remember your IP address, just your assigned DNS name. And if you are running Mac OS X Server on your home computer, then configuring the VPN server is easy and if provides configuration profiles that you can e-mail to any client's machine, including yourself, for automatic setup of the VPN client. You then VPN into your home server from anywhere on the Internet and web browse from your home IP address. Another advantage of this is any resources you have on your home LAN are also available to you from anywhere on the Internet through VPN, such as your data files, databases, reports, papers, etc.

Regards,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X