Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
MacExpo in London the same time Bush is there, strange isn't it!

After all the protesters are done protesting, they can go check out the lastest Mac stuff.

Sounds like fun to me!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't think there's going to be any major Apple announcements. The expo already started... and no major Apple keynote speech or anything.

arn

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yep, but no harm in getting hopes up! Strange they didn't announce the dual 1.8s and 20" iMacs at the Expo... suppose they wanted to announce on a Tuesday!

Pity I can't get down to London anytime soon; I've never been to an Apple Event...

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
I am pretty sure they announced the new powermac and imac to coincide with Comdex. Cnet news has an article about Apple's presence there. The article also mentions a new Belkin product called the "RadioShark." It works pretty much like a tivo for the radio. I assume it has a tuner and a line out and ships with recording/editing software.

Could be cool for recording UK games this season. GO BIG BLUE!!!

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I figure if Apple is going to release a new product or annouce any new promotion it will do it before the end of this month because they normally don't release anything for the month of Dec. because if they got something then they just might as well wait till CES or MacWorld in Jan.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
I'm thinking they'll announce the G7 4.9 THz Dual Powerbook with 22" screen... but that's just my guess.

And a pony.

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
ITUNES EUROPE! PLEASE!!!!

Would be nice, but all the indications are for a Europe-wide launch next Spring. I wish they would hurry up, although you wouldn't know that the iTunes competition have already launched rivals services in the UK (does anyone know anyone who has legally downloaded tunes from a UK service - I don't.)

Still, Apple has been receiving acres of positive press coverage for their US download store here in the UK, even though we can't buy anything from it. Plus the coverage of all things Apple and Mac related in the press this week has been great - all building up to Mac Expo London which, essentially, is quite a low-key event. Even the Times and the Metro have dedicated full pages to showing off Apple products.

Saturday at the Expo will be even sweeter if England win the Rugby World Cup final in the morning... which, of course, we will :D

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I'm waiting on the 980 PPC which AI says will be able to debut with 2.8 to 3.2 speeds..but can go up too 5GHz.
The startup fsb is suppose to be 2GHz as well.

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
A Quark rep, huh?

Anyone who's going want to do me a favor and throw a few eggs at him for me? Maybe take some digital photos of him afterwards?

Quark 6 was not at all worth the wait, and the product activation stuff is a major pain in the ass. I thirst for payback.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by 1macker1
So nothing new is being announced? :(

Aside from the Apple flux capacitor, no.

And someone wants to throw eggs at the Quark guy? I'll pay them to throw bricks, that or live deadly snakes, or gasoline with lit matches.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by arn
I don't think there's going to be any major Apple announcements. The expo already started... and no major Apple keynote speech or anything.

arn

With the recent iMac and PowerMac updates announced, I don't see any new updates at all being announced at this Expo - if anything, Spplr would've waited the few extra days and launched the 20" iMac and DP 1.8s at this event. As for iTunes Europe, I'm not expecting any announcements at this Expo, but as for the Apple Store event on the 28th, that may be a different story... Although I still have a hunch that, unfortunately, iTunes Europe is still a good 4 months away... :(

Slightly off topic, when do keynote speakers, etc. usually get announced for these events? Just wondering when me might hear more about MWSF and if Jobs will be doing the keynote.

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by Dippo
MacExpo in London the same time Bush is there, strange isn't it!

As one local BBC commentator put it: "Only 60,000 people gathered for the protest; we get more people than that for gay pride parades"

Sounds like fun to me!

I was at the show, it's actually a pretty small show by any standards (Paris, Tokyo, and of course NY/SF) are all much larger by comparison.

The 20" iMacs were indeed on display there, and they look nice, though one does wonder if people will want to shell out that kind of coin for an LCD monitor that is permanently attached to a non-upgradable computer.

booshtukka

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by CrackedButter
I marked this down as negative.

This or any decent sized expo should bein Manchester or the Birmingham NEC. Having it all down South is limiting.
Not to mention expensive.

Negative??? To have it in the nation's capital??? I'm glad there's one at all. And I'm going tomorrow. If it was in Manchester or Birmingham, I wouldn't be able to go.

orangedv

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2002
England
Marking it as a neg? I can't see the thread being an influence on the location. It is fairly common for the general public to expect shows to be in a geographicaly neutral place, like Birmingham for the UK.

But it depends what kind of critera you use. If you place by geography, Mac Expo Paris would be either in a sleepy village in the middle of rural no-where France, or more acurately wherever the middle of the EU is (I have no clue). If you place your location by finance (read potential buyers and switchers) rather than Geography, then places like London will win the vote. Manchester is enjoying a golden age at the moment and rightly so, but it is a financial minnow compared to London. Whenever The UK goes into depression, you can draw a line from the Wash to The Bristol Channel. Everywhere above gets hammered. Below generally esapes. Dunno why, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.