Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
My brand new MacBook Pro, which is only a week old or so, runs hot when idle, and by hot I mean 75-80 C.

What I am doing? Browsing the web. I got my screen dimmed, got nothing special open. No bluetooth on or whatsoever. Just browsing the web (Safari, sometimes Firefox) and using Adium. That's all.

When? Doesn't matter when. When wireless in better batter life, when hooked up with adapter with better performance.

What is wrong?

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
There are a lot of factors that can determine it.

I've found that while running FireFox, it tends to run about 70C. 'firefox-bin' is generally taking up a whopping 20% of my cpu, so I generally stick to Safari.

Also, for me living with no air-conditioning, it also runs a little warmer than normal.

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Screenshot

At this moment, All I got running is Safari. Got my laptop in better battery life and on battery, and here's a screenshot of my temps:

temps.tiff

This is been going on since I got this thing... Specs? 250GB hdd 5400 rpm, 8600M GT 512 MB Vram, 2 GB DDR-II 667, 15"

GP82

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
At this moment, All I got running is Safari. Got my laptop in better battery life and on battery, and here's a screenshot of my temps:

temps.tiff

This is been going on since I got this thing... Specs? 250GB hdd 5400 rpm, 8600M GT 512 MB Vram, 2 GB DDR-II 667, 15"

I had the same problem... check the temps with AC plugged and with no battery embedded on. If you find regular temps maybe it's a logic board issue like for me. Did you make the 1.5.1 EFI upgrade? i'm starting to think there's a connection between my problem and this update.

Another parte of the issue was a huge loss in battery performance too.

(Please forgive my english, is rusty!)

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I had the same problem... check the temps with AC plugged and with no battery embedded on. If you find regular temps maybe it's a logic board issue like for me. Did you make the 1.5.1 EFI upgrade? i'm starting to think there's a connection between my problem and this update.

Another parte of the issue was a huge loss in battery performance too.

(Please forgive my english, is rusty!)

I really don't understand my prob. First week no problems. Fine in college...lasts 4-5 hours.

Next week (this week) problem started. I didn't have to update my mac, so 1.5.1 EFI must've been on my mac already.

Your logic board appeared to be broken...?

(Your English is fine :))

GP82

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
I really don't understand my prob. First week no problems. Fine in college...lasts 4-5 hours.

Next week (this week) problem started. I didn't have to update my mac, so 1.5.1 EFI must've been on my mac already.

Your logic board appeared to be broken...?

(Your English is fine :))

Unlucky, it is... i have to wait at least 10 days for a new one...

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
It is very likely that your computer is perfectly fine hardware wise, you're just having a software problem somewhere. Open up "Activity Monitor" in your utilities folder, click on the CPU tab and make sure you have "all processes" selected. Then look at what's increasing CPU usage. You should take a screenshot of it and post it here, but you can just force quit the process that's eating too much cpu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.