Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
One program that is very good and useful that many use is called "VisualHub". It will convert to many different file types and it may help you some. Check it out at versiontracker or another download site.

Best of luck.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
One program that is very good and useful that many use is called "VisualHub". It will convert to many different file types and it may help you some. Check it out at versiontracker or another download site.

Best of luck.

Yh he wants DVD not .mp4 (All I get out of it),

Also this last part
another download site
says I D/Led it illegally LoL

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
Yh he wants DVD not .mp4 (All I get out of it),

Also this last part says I D/Led it illegally LoL

I believe VideoHub will convert from .avi to DVD as well which is what I thought he wanted. Never tried it that way but the software does just about any conversion from any format you can think of. I really like it.

Also, I was just referring to a site like softpedia or other places to LEGALLY download software. I STRONGLY believe in supporting the developers out there, especially those that really care about their software on the mac.

irontony

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
New Zealand
Yes Toast is awesome and is my number 1. media cd/dvd creator
However I found the avi to dvd conversion not as good "visually" compared to MPEG2 Works 4. Also MPEG2 Works 4 does much better ntsc <> pal conversions - maybe important or necessary for some people.

Regardless Toast is a must have program for any Mac user anyway

Cheers

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
VisualHub can convert to DVD .VOB files. It can author the DVD structure and even burn the disc. Just drag the files in and click start. It can create DVDs at many different quality levels as well. I've managed to get over 16 hours of TV shows on a single disc that looked as good as standard definition cable on a 32" SDTV. Creating a disc with a single ~2 hour movie takes around half an hour on my MacBook Pro.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
VisualHub can convert .avi to DVD, Dam where are the settings as I can't locate them at all.

Supamanu

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
I have toast 9 and have been trying to burn a dvd from .avi files. They play fine in quicktime w/sound but when i burn them to a dvd video in toast and play the dvd the video plays fine but there is no sound, any suggestions?

boozer

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
I've managed to get over 16 hours of TV shows on a single disc that looked as good as standard definition cable on a 32" SDTV. Creating a disc with a single ~2 hour movie takes around half an hour on my MacBook Pro.

How did you do this? Care for some instructions or details?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
How did you do this? Care for some instructions or details?

Average DVD is 4.7GB. Average TV show converted (assuming 20 minutes duration) at about 1000kbps is 170MB's. So that's 28 worth of episodes you could fit onto the DVD which is 9 hours worth of TV shows. Of course, you could compress each episode even more.

Can't comment on Toast - I bought version 8 and every TV show I burned resulted in poor FPS playback. I read there was a lot of issues with the encoder, but apparently these have all been fixed/dealt with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.