Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In April, SwitchToaMac.com published a rumor that Apple would be launching the 3G iPhone earlier than expected... in May. At the time, we dismissed it, as the rumor didn't seem to correspond to the circulating expectations that the new iPhone would be launched in June at WWDC. Apple's dwindling stock of iPhones in both the U.S. and U.K. however, has made us look at this rumor once again.

As mentioned, SwitchToaMac's source claimed that the 3G-capable iPhone would be announced in May, with the belief that it would be available for purchase the day after the announcement.

The reason for a pre-WWDC announcement? Reportedly, Apple would instead announce a brand new portable device at WWDC. No other details of what this device might be, but there have been rumors that Apple was developing a mini-tablet multitouch device for launch in 2008. This PDA-like device would reportedly have a higher screen resolution (720x480) and be about 1.5x the size of the existing iPhone.

Repubblica.it first reported (in April) that they expected the Italian 3G iPhone launch "in the next few weeks", suggesting a May launch. While Telecom Italia and Vodofone did announce their intentions to supply the iPhone in Italy, no formal announcement had been made from Apple. Meanwhile, Apple's supply of iPhones has dwindled to nothing and our retail sources have indicated that they too will not be receiving many (if any) more iPhone shipments, leading many to speculate that the 3G-capable iPhone launch will be sooner than expected.

We don't necessarily believe this rumor is true, but present it as an interesting possibility. Obviously, we'll see between now and WWDC if it has any merit.

Article Link

Boydbme

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
if they release the 3g iphone in May, then I'm waiting until I found out what they have in store to announce at WWDC in June before I get one.

I'm sensing too high of expectations. good set up for a let down.

Dangeresque

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
San Diego, CA
Does anybody else worry that this rapid product introduction cycle will eventually result in far too complex product lineup where it becomes too difficult to distinguish between value added by moving between products? This product sounds great, but what added benefit will it give us that a software update to the iPod Touch / iPhone wouldn't give us?

It just seems like Apple's crowding it's "message" of simplicity by introducing too many specialized products when they could simply continually improve their current offerings.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I have a really hard time believing that they will release the 3g iphone before they release the 2.0 software. I think this is a case of believing what you want to believe.

stevemolitor

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Tether 3G iPhone to laptop

Any guesses as to whether we will be able to tether the new iPhone to a laptop , to get 3G internet on the laptop? This is possible with the current iPhone I believe with jail breaking, but I was wondering if it'd be legit this time.

Steve

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Does anybody else worry that this rapid product introduction cycle will eventually result in far too complex product lineup where it becomes too difficult to distinguish between value added by moving between products? This product sounds great, but what added benefit will it give us that a software update to the iPod Touch / iPhone wouldn't give us?

It just seems like Apple's crowding it's "message" of simplicity by introducing too many specialized products when they could simply continually improve their current offerings.

And this sounds awfully familiar...The Nightmare that was John Scully?

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
If this is true I don't expect too many major design changes in the iPhone.
maybe just 3G and GPS....but seems weird that it would not run 2.0 software until after WWDC.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Why is this 3G thing such a big deal?

The same reason everyone thinks the MacBook Pro updates to the new processor was such a big deal.

Because it's a new model and 3G allows for better internet/data experience.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Why must Apple constantly release products that I want. My bank account does not appreciate it.

The tablet thing sounds very interesting though.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Seems odd especially after they just released the macbook air… why would they release a tablet that would cannibalize the airs' sales?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Now I don't know whether to get a 3G iPhone when it comes out in May or if I should wait for the WWDC announcement. If there's some product feature overlap, I might do better keeping my current iPhone and seeing what new comes out?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Apple loves surprises, and the new 3G iPhone isn't a surprise at all, so a late May launch would be understandable to make room for a new product launch at the WWDC keynote.

Hmmmmm. My brother is going crazy waiting for one. He go so mad at his Treo the other day he just went outside and threw it against his driveway. It didn't survive.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
after thinking about this I can say with 99% confidence this is not going to be how things go down and there will be no tablet at WWDC.

Of course, I also said there was no way Apple would call it the Macbook Air.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.