Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK25toLife

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Aside from faster internet speed, what does 3G enable you to do? Is it really worth it and why?

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
It would allow for video calling, if the new iPhone supports it and has a camera in the right place (assuming it is the next iPhone model your talking about :D)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don't care for video calling to be honest, I think it's a waste, I guess it could be potentially cool though, in naughty and nice ways lol.

Anyways

all I want from this 3G iPhone is video recording, GPS, a nice a battery and internet that's noticeably quicker than the current gen iPhone. Those features along with a decent price and the apps store/2.0 software/sdk and I will be set for a long time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's part that traditional network access is faster and part that you can do things that aren't as feasible on EDGE. Like someone above said they want a video recorder; sending those videos directly to YouTube is a lot more reasonable on HSPA or EV-DO than it is on EDGE. There's no sensible reason to not allow the iTunes store to work OTA. And if not video chatting, then things like video voicemails are more realistic on 3G as well.

browse over the cellular network and still receive phone calls.

Sigh... as has been said many times, this technology is in EDGE; it just has to be configured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.