Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Apple officially confirmed today that the iPhone is sold out without giving a reason why:

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Apple Inc. says its online stores in the U.S. and U.K. are sold out of the iPhone, a sign supplies are being winnowed ahead of the launch of the device's next generation that will feature faster Internet surfing speeds.

The Cupertino-based company has confirmed Monday that the iPhone is out of stock online, but adds that brick-and-mortar stores run by Apple and iPhone carriers including AT&T Inc. might still have units available.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris has declined to comment on reasons for the shortage and on Apple's plans for an update to the device, which is widely expected to be unveiled in June at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/05/12/iphone.sold.out.ap/index.html

If this points to an earlier than expected release of a newer iPhone model is still anyone's guess.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I ordered my iphone 6 days ago from the apple website. The apple website was sold out, but that does not mean that they are not still selling them. My phone came from Ningbo China, which means that have some instock for orders, but they are not stocking their US warehouse. I knew this when i called to check on the status because the idiot working at the apple store SAID they were instock and would ship same day> When my tracking said it was coming from China, i had LOTS of questions..

so basically yes, they have completely dwindled their US stock PROBABLY for the new arrival.. that or they just did not exect so many people to buy them that far after the release date.

either way, you can still get an iphone from the apple web store, it just takes longer to get it.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I ordered my iphone 6 days ago from the apple website. The apple website was sold out, but that does not mean that they are not still selling them. My phone came from Ningbo China, which means that have some instock for orders, but they are not stocking their US warehouse. I knew this when i called to check on the status because the idiot working at the apple store SAID they were instock and would ship same day> When my tracking said it was coming from China, i had LOTS of questions..

so basically yes, they have completely dwindled their US stock PROBABLY for the new arrival.. that or they just did not exect so many people to buy them that far after the release date.

either way, you can still get an iphone from the apple web store, it just takes longer to get it.

You may want to go to the Apple Store and click on the option to try and buy an iPhone. Also look in the iPhone gray lettering and then come back and update your post. :eek:

Here's the link for you: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...hop_iphone/family/iphone&sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
If apple planned on getting more in, I'm sure they would have said so instead of avoiding questions.

With everyone getting their $600 check from Mr. Bush this week, do you REALLY think apple doesn't want everyone to impulse buy a iPhone?

It launches tomorrow! Expect it to be announced in an hour!

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
I ordered one from the Apple store on friday. the next day they were sold out. I called today and the lady it will ship within the next 24 hours. guess i got the last of the bunch.

crazychris3992

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
virginia beach, va
I ordered one from the Apple store on friday. the next day they were sold out. I called today and the lady it will ship within the next 24 hours. guess i got the last of the bunch.

well that sucks because you are more then likely going to want the 3g one when it comes out. so what are you going to do with the edge one you have?

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Mine just came today...

Considering the fact that my iphone was free, AND there is very little to no 3G in my area, and i get GREAT service on the net with my EDGE, including big complicated webpages with lots of photos and stuff. I also have no need for a GPS since I have a garmin Nuvi which i think would toss the iphone out of the water as a GPS. The ONLY thing about teh supposed NEW iphone that i would want is MMS and video, however this is most likely going to be a software update and i wont need to buy the "new" phone for that.

I also waited out the supposed march release date. When that didn't happen, i figured there is no use waiting on rumors and since my verizon account was comingto an end, and the "new" iphone isnt going to be too much of use for me, there was no sense in waiting.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
well that sucks because you are more then likely going to want the 3g one when it comes out. so what are you going to do with the edge one you have?

He'll probably use it (like me). I plan on using my iPhone as long as it holds up. I bought it Saturday. No reason that the EDGE one will stop working once the 3G one comes out.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I see why you guys are expecting a release within 10-15 days, but don't. I'm no expert by any means, but I think June 9th is the announcement and a few days later a release. However, this doesn't explain the current availability as well as the European carriers that say may.. hmmm

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Not in retail either....

I'll will bet $500 that the new 3G phones will be released in the next 24 hours!

The retail store is out (I checked with the Seattle University Village just now)

There's no way Apple is going to stop selling iPhones for a month!

Here's the way I see it: Apple wants to extract as much marginal revenue from the market as possible. It really can't change the price of the iPhone too rapidly (as shown last year) yet it wants to charge those first movers (fanboys - myself included) a premium to buy one this week. That's why Apple is going to sell the unsubsidized iPhone at a high price - say 599 for a new 32 GB 3G model.

As noted on other threads, after a month or so, the 3rd party phone companies (AT&T) in the US can start to sell subsidized versions with two year contracts. That's why AT&T can wait until June before they lose vacation time.

It's simple economics and makes perfect sense.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Actually, I think it's good! I'll predict a new iPhone tomorrow morning.

Well, this morning came and went with no announcement. Very surprising. I thought for sure it was going to be today, and Apple running out was just a few day early stock management issue.

Although Apple has had a model completely discontinued for a short time before a replacement was available, the iMac G5 was announced this way. They discontinued the iMac G4, but didn't make the G5 available right away; and didn't even ANNOUNCE the G5 until a few days after the G4 was officially discontinued. (The iMac G4 was discontinued with a press release on July 1, 2004, while the iMac G5 wasn't even fully revealed until Apple Expo Paris on August 31. It wasn't actually available for another two weeks.)

Hopefully the 3G iPhone won't be that long of a delay... :p

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown

Sadly I'm not too much concerned about 3g as I stick to prepay plans and only use Wifi.

But it's my second iphone, i'll just flip it on ebay.

anmoldagreat

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
seattle
according to techbargains: $249 refurbished 8gb iphones are back
id call your local att store asap.

could this mean theyre cleaning all that stuff out too in anticipation for a 3g iphone soon?
hopefully. i might have to sell my n95 if it has everything its supposed to have.

moloukhya

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
I'll will bet $500 that the new 3G phones will be released in the next 24 hours!

The retail store is out (I checked with the Seattle University Village just now)

There's no way Apple is going to stop selling iPhones for a month!

Here's the way I see it: Apple wants to extract as much marginal revenue from the market as possible. It really can't change the price of the iPhone too rapidly (as shown last year) yet it wants to charge those first movers (fanboys - myself included) a premium to buy one this week. That's why Apple is going to sell the unsubsidized iPhone at a high price - say 599 for a new 32 GB 3G model.

As noted on other threads, after a month or so, the 3rd party phone companies (AT&T) in the US can start to sell subsidized versions with two year contracts. That's why AT&T can wait until June before they lose vacation time.

It's simple economics and makes perfect sense.

Can I send you my paypal email address so that you can deposit my $500? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.