Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robodude666

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hey guys,

I bought a MacBook back in Feb when it was updated and totally love Mac OS X. A few days ago a friend of mine gave me his old Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz. Its great.. except I can't use it.

The PowerMac has a single layer DVD drive, while the Leopard DVD is a dual layer. Without knowing this, I tried installing it and I got a "BSD Package missing" error. I then figured out that the BSD package is probably on the other layer that can't be read... So I put the DVD into my MacBook and tried to do a New Image via Disk Utility and save it to an external HDD (USB) so I can then Restore the image onto my PowerMac. Nay. I get an "Input/Ouput Error" when I try to create the dmg (settings of compressed, none). So then I try to save it on my MacBook's HDD. Nope, same error.

So today I got a FireWire cable from my friend and thought I can use my MacBook's DVD drive to install it. I put the PowerMac into Target Mode (T on boot) and connected it to my MacBook then ran the DVD from macbook and selected PowerMac's HDD as target installation drive. Same error. I just read somewhere that using "Master CD/DVD" for the new image might fix this problem, but nope. Same error.

Any ideas of what might cause this problem and/or how to fix it? Is the DVD I have bad? I know my MacBook's DVD drive is fine as I used it a few times already.

When I erase/partition my PowerMac's HDD, do I need to have "Install Mac OS 9 Disk Drivers" checked? I to install Mac OS X Leopard.

Cheers,
-robodude666

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Your G5 can read dual layer DVDs, but it can't burn them. The problem is that the DVD is bad. Get a replacement.

robodude666

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2008
You sure they can? Apple's Specs don't list DL and neither does the system profiler. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
-robodude666

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.